This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake- I want to know everything!

Guest alliecat93

Guest alliecat93

My ballet school is having auditions for Swan Lake soon and I really don't know much about it. Could someone post a summary of the ballet and a list of all the characters? Also I would appreciate it if you would write them in order of how they're generally ranked (most important role/most advanced role to least important role). Thanks to everyone who helps! :)

Guest alliecat93

Wow! I can't believe I didn't know about that part of Ballet Alert! Thanks for telling me. I read all of it and it answered most of my questions, but I would still like to know about the characters. I know that Oddette/Seigfried are the most imporant parts for the most advanced dancers that audition, but I would like to know how the other parts follow in the order of importance/level of difficulty. Would there be a certain book that would have that info or would someone on this board know? Also, my teacher told me that the girls from my level that audition will probably be swans. Does anyone know which swans she would be referring to, and are the big swans more advanced than the little swans? Thanks for all your help!!! :)

If you are doing just the second act of Swan Lake, then both the little swans and the big swans are considered soloist parts. The little swans are smaller - not smaller parts, smaller girls! ;) Both the big and little swans are difficult and require strong dancers. Then come the rest of the swans, and the number of swans varies from one production to another. With a school production that will most likely depend on how many students there are who are ready to learn and dance the corps roles in this ballet.

There are no other roles for female dancers in Act II of the ballet. If you were doing Act I or Act III there would be other things, like the big waltz and the pas de trois in Act I, or all of the special character and demi-character dances in Act III, and the princesses dance, but no swans except for Odile in Act III. :)