This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Flags Across America - September 14

A friend sent me this message and I wanted to share it with you all:

'To show those terrorists that we Americans stick together, FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 14 is "Flags Across America." All Americans are asked to display the American flag either in their homes or cars. Let's keep the meaning of UNITED in "United States". THANK YOU.'

Melissa

Another email message, this one from people in New York who are organizing a vigil:

Friday night, at 7:00 pm, step out of your door,

stop your car, or step out of your establishment and light a candle.

We will show the world that Americans are strong and united together against terrorism. Please pass this to everone on your email list and buddy list, we need to reach everyone across the United States quickly. We need the press to cover this--we need the whole world to see.

I hope it will be of some comfort for my American friends to know that throughout Britain, three minutes silence was observed at 11.00 am Friday in memory of those killed and our thoughts were with the bereaved families.

This terrible act has cast a cloud over the pleasure of my visits to watch ballet in both New York and Washington only a few weeks ago.

Thank you, Colwill. The service in St. Paul's was moving, too.

This may be of interest/use to some people. The Washington Post has a list of firms that were in the Twin Towers, with contact numbers for some of the higher floors. (It's interesting to see how many non-American companies there were in the building, which gives a clue to the outpouring of international anger and support.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/natio...les/tower1.html

This is the first list for Tower 1, but there are links at the bottom of the list to Tower 2.

While it is probably true that some of the international rage over the trade center destruction was fueled by the deaths of some foreign nationals, I think that Britain deserves to be acknowledged as the nation that is always there for us, upon which we can always rely for support, both moral and practical, in every crisis. God save the Brits!

Please don't let this thread become contentious. My comment was not intended to belittle any nation or group, but to comment that other countries were caught up in this tragedy directly as well and have a personal stake in what happens next. Unless you've read through the list I referred to in the initial post, you may not realize what countries were also affected.

There are other threads on the site where people from all over the world (including many from England) have expressed their shock and condolences and solidarity and I'm sure all of us have been touched by them. Should it matter, my mother's family is English and Scots, and I'm very aware of British and American support for each other in this and other crises over the years.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]