This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kevin F. Irving

Some time in June I think it was, I asked a question about the above person - nobody replied as far as I can remember.

Anyway, on the local Gothenburg TV news he appeared today in

a very brief interview, didnt really yield anything at all except that Mr. Irving said that he was from New York and had worked a lot there as choreographer and ballet master.

Well, New Yorkers, does anybody know anything about Mr. Irving?

After all, he is going to be in charge of the ballet company here and I want to know what to expect from him.:confused:

Kevin Irving was one of two casts of the leading couple in James Kudelka's 'Heart of The Matter' which I staged for Les Grands Ballets Canadiens in 1989.

Mr. Kudelka had already taught the lead couples their part by the time I arrived, so I didn't really work with Kevin a lot. Kevin seemed a very nice person.

I saw him last year in Saint Louis when he toured there with Duato's company. I believe he has been working closely with Nacho Duato, and was the ballet master for the company.

They were magnificent, so he must be quite able.

OK, Leigh, here is the translation. I have edited lightly and only translated the most interesting bits.

"The Canadian Kevin F. Irving will be new ballet director at the Gothenburg Opera House from Sept. 1 2002, he will succeed Anders Hellström who leaves his post after three successful years and has chosen to decline the offer of another term in office.

Kevin F. Irving is 42, born in Canada where he worked for eight years with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens. He was quickly promoted to the rank of soloist and at the same time he worked for the Dancers' Union. During his successful career he appeared in works by many famous choreographers, such as Kurt Jooss, George Balanchine, Anthony Tudor, Marius Petipa, and Twyla Tharp.

Lately he has progressed from dancing to important posts as ballet master, administrator and producer and has worked with the Australian Ballet, Royal Ballet, Hubbard Street Dance of Chicago and Nederlands Dans Theater.

Since 1994 he has been working with Nacho Duato Compania Nacional de Danza in Madrid where he is now in charge of artistic matters with special responsibility for the touring section.

Kevin F. Irving's contract is for a period of three years from Sept- 1 2002".

Well, it gives one some information about what he has done, but not a word about his future plans for the company. What can one reasonably expect?