This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Emails to NYMagazine re its decision to cut Tobi Tobias's dance review

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 05:39 PM

Yes, of course!!!
I didn't suggest discontinuing my subscription when I wrote but I made it abundantly clear what I thought....
but what a clever notion!

I happen to think that the form letters we are receiving in response to our individual letters are insulting.
Budget cuts, baloney. Cut television coverage. Less about the Hilton sisters and Lizzie Grubman.....

Juliet

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:08 AM

Hey, inquiring minds want to know. I followed the Lizzie coverage quite closely, I fear. :)

Actually, the form letter is a form of compliment, if you look at it another way. If Miller's office responded to them all individually, it'd be a clear signal that she wasn't getting many.

John Leonard, who covers television for NY, is a critic of distinction. The point is not that dance is more worthy of coverage than television, or vice versa; it's finding room for both, and not eliminating such coverage in favor of more features on The Best Focaccia in New York, or whatever.

#18 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:12 AM

I did say in my letter that since they discontinued Tobias's column I would discontinue my subscription. And I did.
Of course, I didn't even get a form letter in reply. Oh, well.

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:44 AM

This is a response to one of the form responses, posted with permission of the writer:

Dear Ms. Miller,

I can't help but feel that if you truly realized just how "painful" this choice is, you wouldn't be making it. Which readers are you hoping to serve by removing one of the great and moral voices in the arts?

To pretend that previews (those little boxes?) and listings (come on!) constitute dance coverage seems disingenuous. I love that you're doing a feature on Mark Morris, but how often are those going to come along? And without the context provided by regular, thoughtful reviews of his work, what will such a staff-written feature contribute? Tobi Tobias is the reason I
read your dance coverage: every review is an epiphany. She's entertaining, too, in the satisfying way that only a brilliant writer can be. How can you bear to lose her?

Artists need to have their work written about intelligently, and readers need a guide they can trust. For the twenty years I've been reading it, New York Magazine has fostered this artistic dialogue. I'm sorry to think that you haven't realized or appreciated the pearls on your own pages, but maybe it's not too late. Don't cancel this rreplaceable column--it's a giant step in the wrong direction.

Sincerely,
June Omura

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 05:53 AM

Another email to NYMag, posted by permission of the writer:

Dear Ms Miller:

To be blunt: How can you possibly sack Tobi Tobias? She is a writer of uncomprimising integrity, acute judgement, wit, intelligence. Her all-too-infrequent columns have been my main reason for reading New York Magazine for years. She is a damn fine writer, a class act. For shame!

And moreover, how can a magazine called "New York" possilbly consider having no in-house dance critic? This city is where modern dance was largely invented, and where it is continuously reinvented. This is the city that is home to ABT, and Balanchine. So what if times are bad? Dancing still matters, and writing about dancing matters as part of the civilized cultural discourse of this town. Tobi Tobias's dance writing in your magazine has been one of the most consistently provocative voices in that discourse. Tobi Tobias, with no place to write? This is impossible; this cannot be.

I urge you to reconsider your decision. Something made wrong can still be made right.

Christopher Caines
Artistic Director
Christopher Caines Dance Company

#21 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:01 PM

A letter, jointly signed by dance critic Minday Aloff and ballerina Allegra Kent, posted with permission of the senders:

2 August 2002

Ms. Caroline Miller
Editor, New York Magazine
444 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Dear Ms. Miller:

The news that New York has dismissed its dance critic, Tobi Tobias, and dropped the dance column altogether for budgetary reasons is an alarming surprise. It is difficult to believe that a magazine devoted to the city of New York, which both produces and hosts more dance--and a wider variety of dance styles and traditions--than any other metropolis in the world, will no longer have a dance critic. Many magazines are suffering in today's economic climate and finding that they must reduce space for arts coverage. However, New York is a special type of magazine. It purports to key in its readers on how to survive, and sometimes how to thrive, in the city. Dance is, as you know, one of the strongest cultural offerings here. Admittedly, dance companies are not in a position to take out a lot of advertising. However, the practice, now common, for magazines and newspapers to use ads as an index to how much editorial space should be accorded a given subject is one of the reasons that readers have come to distrust the cultural coverage of the media in general. In pleading economic woes as a reason for canceling the dance column, New York exemplifies this short-sighted and questionable approach.

Furthermore, its dance columnist is one of the most well-respected dance critics in the country. Although Ms.Tobias's views can be tough and sometimes controversial--like those of the well-respected dance critic Marcia B. Siegel, who preceded her in her post at New York--she has covered her beat with honor, demonstrating a concern for high standards, passion for both the art of dancing and for the people who practice it, and consistent honesty. Readers know that what she publishes directly reflects what she thinks; and her colleagues can attest to the fact that what she writes is congruent with what she says in conversation. This kind of integrity is rare in criticism overall today, and it would seem from New York's move to dismiss her that she is being punished for practicing, as an adult of considerable learning and experience in her field, exactly those values one tries to instill in one's children.

It is our hope that New York will reconsider its decision and return its dance column and its dance critic to its pages.

Sincerely,

Mindy Aloff
Barnard College

Allegra Kent
Former Principal Dancer, NYCB

#22 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 11:44 AM

An email to NY Magazine sent to me for posting:

As Tobi Tobias's onetime editor at New York Magazine, I mourn the absence of
her voice in dance criticism and devoutly hope it will soon be heard, in another venue if not at New York. "Editing" Tobi was a delightful if unchallenging task. Aside from her meeting every deadline with a full, trenchant, witty, and gracefully written column, she was and continues to be a particularly gracious writer to work with. New York's "culture" section is sadly diminished by the loss of a dance column in general, and by Tobi Tobias's truthful, insightful criticism in particular.
One can only hope NY has the vision to reinstate her column--or that the magazine's loss will promptly become another's gain. Claire Perrault

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):