This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB 2003 Winter Season

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 05:47 AM

Melissa Walter, Elena Stein (nee Diner), Lauren Toole, Megan Pepin, and Ryan Kelly all left before the Spring Season began.

-amanda

#17 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 06:32 AM

It seems a rather large exodus, I don't remember this many dancers leaving at once, except after the Balanchine Celebration.

On the positive side, maybe it will be enough time to rehearse everyone thoroughly:p

#18 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 07:08 AM

The company is not only smaller overall but less costly to operate. You save money when you replace corps members such as Stein, Walter, Hendrickson, Schulz, etc., who have been there for years, with eighteen-year-olds fresh off their apprenticeships. But you sacrifice age, experience, leadership, artistry, cohesion, institutional memory. One thing that was nice about seeing the Kirov Corps recently was that we were seeing grownups. Ideally, if the quality of the corps were your only criterion, you would make transition in the corps much more gradual.

My guess (obviously) is that money plays a large role in this.

Ticket sales were down last year on visual evidence. And the City and State subsidies can't be expected to continue at the same level in the near future. There are big budget shortfalls for all public entities right now.

The irony is that NYCB still finds it easy to raise large sums of money for special projects that have Vanity appeal such as the Diamond Project or the Choreographic Institute. While money for normal operating expenses, and maintaining the normal repertory grows tight. So it can end up like a tree with lots of heavy branches up top but less and less foundation underneath.

#19 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 07:18 AM

institutional memory

I wonder if they still have that.

#20 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 03:14 PM

The subscriptions schedules for the 2002-2003 winter seasons are online on the following page:

http://www.nycballet...s_schedule.html

But I haven't managed to find a "normal" schedule (by week, not by subscription series) on their website yet.

#21 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Estelle

But I haven't managed to find a "normal" schedule (by week, not by subscription  series) on their website yet.

That schedule format usually is not posted until near the time single tickets go on sale. Though, I have found often (haven't checked this time) that if you check under group sales, there will be a week by week schedule up much earlier.
-amanda

#22 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the information, Amanda. Actually, one can probably reconstruct the whole schedule using the subscription series and a lot of copying-pasting, but it's a bit tedious!

#23 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 03:57 AM

Are any of the dancers who have left going to other companies (aside from Ritter to Boston), does anyone know?

#24 Liz'smom

Liz'smom

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:22 AM

Having just returned from vacation, I too was surprised not to see Stuart Capps listed as a member for the upcomoin season. Does anyone know where he has gone? I will miss him.

#25 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:33 AM

My understanding is that Stuart will be taking some time off, and then he would like to do some Broadway work. This info comes from a friend of mine who spent some time with him recently in Saratoga. As far as I know, he and Maria Kowroski are still a couple and he is happy about his decision.

#26 Liz'smom

Liz'smom

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 07:39 AM

:) Thanks, Rkoretzky, for the update on Stuart Capps. We ll miss watching him at NYCB, but wish him well in his new adventure!

#27 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 06:53 AM

They've announced the opening night gala

OPENING NIGHT GALA, November 26, 2002 2002/03
NYCB's 2002/03 Opening Night Gala will honor the centennial of Richard Rodgers’ birth. The Opening Night Benefit on November 26 at 7:30 p.m., will feature a tribute to the composer with world premiere ballets by choreographers Robert La Fosse, Peter Martins, and Christopher Wheeldon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):