This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Your favorite Jewel....

Manhattnik

2 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite Jewel....

• Emeralds -- voluptuous, verdant, viridian...
    • Rubies -- energy, energy, energy!
    • Diamonds are a girl's best friend!

I can't imagine why this poll suddenly occurred to me, but here it is. Please provide excruciatingly detailed explanations of your answers....

I have decided to allow multiple choice, but please don't be a wimp and pick all three.

As I just posted about the Kirov Jewels, Emeralds is my favorite section. The dancers have to have mastered every aspect of their art. The leads -- and the corps -- are totally exposed. If they don't have technique, they can't "hold" onto a pose or choose when to fall off point. If you can't phrase, don't dance this one!! It's so subtle and so, so elegant. And the whole mood of the ballet is so other worldly; you can have just gotten off an over-crowded M104 bus, walk into the State Theater, see/hear this ballet and you forget what ails you. Of all of three sections, I think that section is the hardest to cast. As a matter of fact, I still miss Violette Verdy (and that's a quarter of a century after she retired).

[As an aside, I hope that Carla Korbes of NYCB grows enough to take on the lead role. Music just fractures though her, and that is what Emeralds needs.]

I have been watching Jewels for years, and my opinon has certainly shifted. I remember being bored to death by Emeralds and by the corps in Diamonds, and loving Rubies. And now, I adore Emeralds, and, after the Kirov performance, could watch the Diamond corps forever. Rubies I find a tiny bit grating--but perhaps I just miss MacBride. I certainly agree about Korbes in Emeralds, and she probably wouldn't be bad in Diamonds either. Of course in a perfect world Korbes would get Emeralds to Somogyi's Diamonds. And Miranda Weese would be well enough to do Rubies.

Do we have to chose a favorite?!? I'm partial to Emeralds, Rubies is so exiting, and Diamonds is beautiful. I love the whole production! But -- if I have to chose, Emeralds -- for today anyway.

The Diamond pas music is so beautiful it brings me to tears.

and I love the part in the pas where the girl does this turned in passe thingy and then throws it into a back attitude, face and arms uplifted, as if to something in heaven.

But the Emeralds pas de trois is probably my favorite to watch, although the music is just as lovely.

Guest Clear

Mr. B choreographed this to perfection in my humble opinion. In Diamonds he choreographed " for " Suzanne , in Rubies " for " Pattie but for Violette he let " himself " rip !--and cudoos to Violette 'cause she kept up !

Truth to tell, I love the whole parure, but "Rubies" is clearly the work whose energy and originality stand above the rest.

"Emeralds" depends a lot on the skill of the principal dancers (I've seen some dreary efforts as Mr. B -- as Merrill Ashley later put it -- "insisted on teaching me to dance slowly." Certainly a dancer of her skill needed "Andante" as well as "Allegro," but that's another topic!)

"Diamonds" is delightful, but "Ballet Imperial" is clearly a superior tribute to Petipa.

of course you love the speed & energy of Rubies, it was Mr. B's forte, but re-view Emeralds to see the underlying choreographic attempt of a master taking on a more (for him) difficult task to fall in love with his ideas all over again.