Onegin - summer season

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Lolly

Lolly

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 08:51 AM

Sylvia, I was in the circle by the stage (my favourite place!), and no, I am neither male nor Japanese! I agree about the Ivan picture - lovely! You have worried me by saying Martin has had a hair cut though - if the RB hairdresser has been in, I hope Martin was the only one with an appointment!;) I failed too with the Gala application, but no such luck in getting a Clore or Linbury ticket. Although I can't imagine anyone returning their ticket, it is worth phoning and queuing for I'm sure! I'll be going to watch in the Piazza anyway. And I just realised why I saw Roberto on Friday - he is here for the Gala!

I wish I had seen Martin's Onegin - it seems so unfair to give him just one. I agree about Marianela and Johannes being the best pairing for Olga and Lensky, but it is harder to think about my favourite Tatiana and Onegin - hard choice. I was listening to the Onegin CD I bought at the ROH shop last week - the one with Yseult on the cover - it has a booklet with quite a lot of information in it, and pictures, and there is one of Robert Tewsley as Lensky - what do you think he would be like? There have been quite a few dual castings, with Alina as Olga AND Tatiana, and Adam as Onegin AND Gremin. I wonder how it limits or expands your interpretations of the characters to have to dance "the other side" as well. I thought it was very mature of Ivan in the Independent article to say he wouldn't take the Onegin role yet. He certainly seems to know what he wants. And I agree with Louise Levene about his promotion prospects! ;)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next two weeks - I'm going to 4 Don Qs and 3 Coppelias now. I think the box office were delighted to have someone buying extra tickets because of the cast changes, instead of complaining about them!

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 08:22 PM

I've moved the posts discussing Onegin in general rather than these specific performances to a previous Onegin thread on this topic.

http://www.balletale...s=&postid=48520

I hope both discussions will continue, but think they ought to have distinct identities. Hope this doesn't cause too much confusion when reading both threads.

#18 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Lolly
[B]I agree about Marianela and Johannes being the best pairing for Olga and Lensky, but it is harder to think about my favourite Tatiana and Onegin - hard choice.[B]

I've been thinking about that. I want to say Lendvai and Tewsley but I wasn't really watching Tewsley - I reckoned I already knew what he was doing. :)

As for Robert Tewsley as Lensky, it's hard for me to imagine. He could be quite a romantic but I keep thinking he's looks too old! We've had rather baby-faced Lensky's in Stiefel, Putrov and Stepanek. :)

About dual castings, I remember reading that Alina would sometimes get a bit confused on stage, forgetting where she was supposed to be, having rehearsed both Olga and Tatiana. I think it would be one thing to, say learn Olga first and Tatiana a few years later. But to have to learn both at the same time must be a nightmare, especially when both are dancing. Can you imagine the pressure of having to learn different steps to the same music at the same time? But I guess it's what the dancers must have to learn to do lower down the ranks, like dancing in the corps in some performances, and dancing soloist roles in others, or dancing different roles for different performances. Don't mind me - it's the end of a long day and my mind's all over the place at the moment. :)

I'm still undecided about the Don Qs - wondering if I should rest and give them a miss. I'm a bit curious about Morera's debut with Putrov. Really keen on Yoshida and Cope. And I'm sorry Cojocaru and Kobborg aren't dancing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):