This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nijinsky (the movie)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 06:02 PM

I was searching at Amazon, but could not find the movie 'Nijinsky' with George De La Pena as Vaslav Nijinsky.

Does anyone know if it is available on DVD?

#2 kiki

kiki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:42 AM

I am not sure if it is available on dvd the only place I have been able to find it was at the library for performing arts in NYC. I know George pretty well and he is great in the movie, the movie itself however isn't all that exciting!!! Good luck finding though!

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 06:16 AM

Oh sorry you didn't find it exciting Kiki.

I actually enjoyed the film a lot when I saw it in it's orginal theatrical run.

Since that time I have learned a lot more about Diaghilev and Ballet Russses, so I would very much like to see it again.

Also Janet Suzman is a favorite of mine!

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:39 PM

glebb, moviesunlimited.com offers it on VHS at a good price. Here's the link:

http://www.moviesunl...7MB35JHTBFGAPV2

Janet Suzman is the greatest. I sat through Nicholas and Alexandra only for her. And there's a very young Jeremy Irons as Fokine.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:42 PM

And Fracci as Karsavina. And, sigh, Leslie Browne as Romola. (Did Romola really deserve that?)

#6 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 04:35 PM

Thanks all. The video is in the mail and for under $20. :)

#7 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 02:56 PM

I'm watching it right now.

What a wonderful video dessert!

#8 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

Old topic, but I just bought a copy of this on Amazon and was watching it this evening. Lots of diversions from reality but I suppose that is what movies do...still, I would have thought the real events exciting enough and not in need of enhancements. It's especially nice to see those legends Fracci and Dolin.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

Haven’t seen this in some time, but I thought Fracci and Dolin were wonderful – they came off better than the pros in this movie. There’s also a very young and callow Jeremy Irons as Fokine.

I would have thought the real events exciting enough and not in need of enhancements.

Me, too. “The Red Shoes," which is fiction, is a much better treatment of the same story, with obvious alterations, of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):