This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nijinsky (the movie)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 06:02 PM

I was searching at Amazon, but could not find the movie 'Nijinsky' with George De La Pena as Vaslav Nijinsky.

Does anyone know if it is available on DVD?

#2 kiki

kiki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:42 AM

I am not sure if it is available on dvd the only place I have been able to find it was at the library for performing arts in NYC. I know George pretty well and he is great in the movie, the movie itself however isn't all that exciting!!! Good luck finding though!

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 06:16 AM

Oh sorry you didn't find it exciting Kiki.

I actually enjoyed the film a lot when I saw it in it's orginal theatrical run.

Since that time I have learned a lot more about Diaghilev and Ballet Russses, so I would very much like to see it again.

Also Janet Suzman is a favorite of mine!

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,843 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:39 PM

glebb, moviesunlimited.com offers it on VHS at a good price. Here's the link:

http://www.moviesunl...7MB35JHTBFGAPV2

Janet Suzman is the greatest. I sat through Nicholas and Alexandra only for her. And there's a very young Jeremy Irons as Fokine.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:42 PM

And Fracci as Karsavina. And, sigh, Leslie Browne as Romola. (Did Romola really deserve that?)

#6 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 04:35 PM

Thanks all. The video is in the mail and for under $20. :)

#7 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 02:56 PM

I'm watching it right now.

What a wonderful video dessert!

#8 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

Old topic, but I just bought a copy of this on Amazon and was watching it this evening. Lots of diversions from reality but I suppose that is what movies do...still, I would have thought the real events exciting enough and not in need of enhancements. It's especially nice to see those legends Fracci and Dolin.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 27,843 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

Haven’t seen this in some time, but I thought Fracci and Dolin were wonderful – they came off better than the pros in this movie. There’s also a very young and callow Jeremy Irons as Fokine.

I would have thought the real events exciting enough and not in need of enhancements.

Me, too. “The Red Shoes," which is fiction, is a much better treatment of the same story, with obvious alterations, of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):