This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

a few words to the wise

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:50 AM

I suppose it's fair to pick apart the technical aspects of a certain performance. You did pay your money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ballet lovers analyze dancers' performances because they love the art and want to see it thrive. They (or at least those of us here at Ballet Talk) don't see a performance as a commodity for which they've shelled out money, and what we do here is not the balletic equivalent of product reviews on Amazon. We all appreciate the fact that artists work very hard, and are grateful to them for doing so. But like all artists, they have to recognize that the people for whom they're performing have opinions about what they see, and some of these may not be to the artists' liking. Here at Ballet Talk we have certain rules for our discussions, and one of them is that posters should be aware that the dancers may read what they write and to phrase whatever negative criticism they might have tactfully. Anything rude or cruel is deleted from the board. As you say, 32tendu, we are all here because we love ballet and this is one way of supporting it. But support doesn't mean unrelieved praise.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:04 PM

A rule that we have used in the past, with varying degrees of success, has been the mother in the elevator paradigm. Write as though you know that you're going to be spending a solo trip with the mother of the dancer you're writing about on a slow elevator up the Empire State Building, and she knows who you are. :D

#18 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hello, Everyone,

Happy weekend!

I haven't posted in awhile and this is indeed my 10th post and this thread seems as good an any other to which to add my thoughts.

I really appreciate the care with which posters strive to post thoughtfully and considerately, bearing in mind the feelings of this wonderful community of dancers, artists and posters. I'm always dismayed and sometimes shocked at how cruel posters' comments can be on YouTube, for example. IMO, regardless if one dances supremely well or one has had a supremely bad night, their efforts and hard work should always be considered and acknowledged, as well as the performer's intent to give a great performance for the audience, and then provide constructive criticism, which can be extremely useful. I know that criticism isn't all touchy-feely and sometimes one must say what they feel/believe/know, etc., but it's always good to be kind.

Also want to say that I am enjoying reading the threads when I can and really like this forum! Now that I've posted 10 times, I guess that makes me not so new anymore! I do want to start a thread on Tiler Peck soon when I have the time - I think she is a really exciting and dimensional ballerina.

- Regards

#19 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thanks, AlbanyGirl, for your comments about the constructive emphasis in Ballet Alert postings about dancers and specific performances. I agree. We all benefit from it.

OFF TOPIC: Regarding Tiler Peck -- there's a very effusive appreciation of (love letter to?) Peck's dancing in the Summer 2012 issue of Ballet Review. Author is Don Daniels. I don't get to see NYCB performances any more, but I have seen video clips including Peck. Her Marzipan was for me the single most memorable part of the company's 2011 televised performance of Balanchine's Nutcracker. Brief cameo; big, lasting impression.

I hope that you do start a Tiler Peck thread and that lots of posters chime in with their own thoughts.

#20 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thanks,Bart, for your reply. I can't wait to get my summer BR issue, which reminds me, perhaps I'd better check if my subscription has expired . This is my first year as a subscriber and I haven't received a reminder yet or the issue. I will start a thread on Tiler Peck once I have more time - I think she is really terrific. But for now, let me just say that I agree with your view about her Marzipan - IMO, she was brilliant. And in general, Tiler is sooo much fun to watch! Lots more to say about her.

#21 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Write as though you know that you're going to be spending a solo trip with the mother of the dancer you're writing about on a slow elevator up the Empire State Building, and she knows who you are. Posted Image

I would give my eye teeth to ride the elevator to the top of the Empire State Building with Veronika Part's mother so I can unblushingly wax enthusiastic about her daughter's supreme gifts and superlative training. I wouldn't say a single negative word. Her minor technical insecurities make her especially endearing and give each performance a spontaneity that doesn't happen with certain other ballerinas. Veronika's mom, I hope you're reading!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):