• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 02:58 AM

I think his point with Kowroski is that she's being given a rep that she hasn't grown into, simply because she's a principal. She gets new things that she can do, but doing it doesn't necessarily mean it's being done correctly. I like Kowroski, she's one of my favorites, but she goes out and does Swan Lake and it looks the same as her Nutcracker, Agon, etc.... Teaching steps isn't enough anymore.
As for Kistler, I liked her up until about 5 years ago. She has moments for me that are nice, but the rest of the time I wonder why she's out there. She's the last Balanchine ballerina though and b/c of that (and it doesn't hurt she's married to Martins) she's still out there, I get the feeling people are applauding her career.

On Borree, I was trying to be nice! jeez, you guys have no mercy, that's why I love you all :)

And as for Martins succeeding, I don't think of it in terms of who the director is, I could care less about Martins, I care more for the company and the rep than I even do about the dancers to an extent. They'll all come and go, but the legacy that's handed off to them is what scares me. Even in the past 20 years the amount of stuff that's been "lost" is frightening. I don't want to go see NYCB in another 20 and only see the 20 Balanchine works, 20 Robbins works and a bunch of other "stuff".

#47 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 03:17 PM

I'm a subscriber to The New York Observer and can report that the second Robert Gottlieb piece is accompanied by a photograph of Peter Martins which makes him look like a serial killer in a dinner jacket.

#48 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 11:55 AM

A reader sent a letter to the editor, which basically agreed with Gottlieb and compared watching NYCB to "watching paint dry and crack off the walls". No link that I could find for the page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):