This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov Bayadere

I was at the Met last night and one of the ushers told me that the Bayadere that the Kirov is bringing in has three intermissions and runs to 11:37 PM, provided that they start on time and keep the intermissions to 22 minutes - which rarely happens. Can anyone verify? How does the ballet break down into four acts?

Palliser, that sounds quite plausible. Check Jeannie's reports on the recent Maryinsky Festival for info about the new production of Bayadere.

The Kingdom of the Shades scene did not end the ballet. The wedding of Gamzatti and Solor was the final act, and many of the dances that other choreographers have moved up to "Act I" or "Act II" took place in this final act. I think that's what the Kirov has gone back to.

Calliope, they do have a early curtain for Tuesday's La Bayadere. It starts at 7pm and ends at 10:35pm.

Kevin, you should come to New York for the premier of La Bayadere.

Last weekend, I saw several 18-wheelers lining up at the back of the Met on Amsterdam Ave., one of them at the loading dock. They must be unloading the sets and customs for Kirov. There's certain excitement in the air just to see those trucks being unloaded.

I'm not sure what the exact running time is, but I know it's more than 3 hours long. About what the four acts are... Act I is the Ritual of Fire. Act II has the Two Rivals and Nikiya's death. Third Act has the Appearance of Nikiya in Solor's room, Solor's dream in the Kingdom of the Shades, and then when Solor awakes from his dream. Act IV is the wedding of Solor and Gamzatti and then the earthquake that destroys the temple.