This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saratoga-New Diamond Project Ballet #3

Guest hermom

Guest hermom

Does anyone know what this is? I taped the PBS special, and would like to identify which segment I'll be seeing.

The Saratoga Diamonds will be:

Haiku (Evans)

Morphoses (Wheeldon)

In the Mi(d)st (Mahdaviani)

and also at the gala--Martins' Bach Concerto (was that a Diamond?) and Vespro (Italian choregrapher--Bignozetti?--sorry its 4 am and I am sleep-deprived)

Oh I should say those are the new Diamonds. We'll have a few older ones too--symphony in five Movements, Ancient Airs...I'll check the schedule in the morning--gotta try to get some sleep now.

Then I'd guess that DP ballet #3 is Haiku, which I didn't see. I saw both Morphoses and In the Mi(d)st, which were #6 and #7, respectively. Bach Concerto was not a DP ballet and I think will be a premiere. Vespro, by Bigonzetti (you only transposed two letters, rkoretzky, not bad for 4 am) is an interesting work, but I think it's an odd choice for the gala audience. Concerto in Five Movements would have been far better.

Guest hermom

Thanks for the information. Has anyone seen Haiku? I seem to remember reading something about this being Evans' first foray in choreography, and even something about the casting. Would anyone care to share?

I only saw Haiku in the gala preview performance but was impressed. This is I belief Evans first ballet, although he participated in the first Choreographic Institute. He uses the dancers well and knows how to create drama in the ppd. The movement is neo-classical in feeling, I think. The piece ran out of steam towards the end but he may have fixed that by now.

I thought the piece was well lit and well costumed.