This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saratoga-New Diamond Project Ballet #3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hermom_*

Guest_hermom_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 27 June 2002 - 06:23 AM

Does anyone know what this is? I taped the PBS special, and would like to identify which segment I'll be seeing.

#2 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 06:36 AM

The PBS special was the old DP ballets. I don't remember which one this year was ballet #3, maybe a Martins one?

#3 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 12:14 AM

The Saratoga Diamonds will be:

Haiku (Evans)
Morphoses (Wheeldon)
In the Mi(d)st (Mahdaviani)

and also at the gala--Martins' Bach Concerto (was that a Diamond?) and Vespro (Italian choregrapher--Bignozetti?--sorry its 4 am and I am sleep-deprived)

Oh I should say those are the new Diamonds. We'll have a few older ones too--symphony in five Movements, Ancient Airs...I'll check the schedule in the morning--gotta try to get some sleep now.

#4 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 05:47 AM

Then I'd guess that DP ballet #3 is Haiku, which I didn't see. I saw both Morphoses and In the Mi(d)st, which were #6 and #7, respectively. Bach Concerto was not a DP ballet and I think will be a premiere. Vespro, by Bigonzetti (you only transposed two letters, rkoretzky, not bad for 4 am) is an interesting work, but I think it's an odd choice for the gala audience. Concerto in Five Movements would have been far better.

#5 Guest_hermom_*

Guest_hermom_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 June 2002 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the information. Has anyone seen Haiku? I seem to remember reading something about this being Evans' first foray in choreography, and even something about the casting. Would anyone care to share?

#6 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 12:56 PM

I only saw Haiku in the gala preview performance but was impressed. This is I belief Evans first ballet, although he participated in the first Choreographic Institute. He uses the dancers well and knows how to create drama in the ppd. The movement is neo-classical in feeling, I think. The piece ran out of steam towards the end but he may have fixed that by now.

I thought the piece was well lit and well costumed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):