This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Quotable Quotes

Diana Vishneva on Broadway shows: " I was taken to some Broadway shows which, honestly, I did not like at all. I never thought Broadway could produce such shows with such unprofessional actors."

Thanks for the great quote, canbelto. Our Russian friends who so generously gave us the Raymonda webcast will show us Broadway the Russian (well, Siberian) way on November 23:

http://www.cultu.ru/english/pautina/2005/somelikeithot/

Details:

Novosibirsk Musical Comedy Theatre (Novosibirsk)

Some Like it Hot

Pre-recorded broadcast

Wired Broadband Connection

November 23, 2005

2:00 am, 4:00 am, 6:00 am, 8:00 am, 10:00 am, 0:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 8:00 pm, 10:00 pm

November 24, 2005

0:00 am

Times are (hopefully) for Eastern USA.

By the way, was this part of an interview? If so could you give the link?

Arlene Croce, re Balanchinian technique: "It is through strength of technique that the body stays in possession of music."

Also: "If Balanchine had any secret, it was one that has endured through two hundred years of classical ballet. It is that dancing correctly in three dimensions, on the music, creates the fourth dimension of meaning."

Diana Vishneva on Broadway shows: " I was taken to some Broadway shows which, honestly, I did not like at all. I never thought Broadway could produce such shows with such unprofessional actors."

I wonder which show she was talking about  :)

"The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the second is disastrous." Dame Margot Fonteyn

By the way, was this part of an interview? If so could you give the link?

Article: "Russian Terpsichore's Soul Flight - St. Petersburg's Ballet Life 1999,"

Full summary & critique of 1998/99 Maryinsky ballet season.

Author: Igor Stupnikov

Link: (Now offline - but try Googling author and title anyway),

http://www.theatre.spb.ru:8100/seasons/1_1...erpsichore.htlm

I regularly check Diana's website simply for her delightful Dianglish.

GG!: ina EVER I am sure you have already lived your dreams!!!! Your birth sign is a cancer like me...I read in an article that cancer`s are very artistic people...I hope it`s a sign!!!!

Diana: Yes, cancer is very good for the artistic people. Good luck to you.

Tana: I overheard one woman with a thick Russian accent saying that you are Gyspy. Is that so? That would be soooo romantic...

Diana: Let it will be a secret.

"Her goals have been to dance in Balanchine ballets."

That's the second part of Peter Martins's description of Suzanne Farrell, and I was struck by it the first time I read it. I have never heard ambition phrased so. It's perfect, because it doesn't look beyond what she was currently doing (c. 1983), and had long been doing, toward anything beyond it.

Another quote I adored was Martha Graham talking about 'the body as garment' or perhaps 'ultimate garment', but I can't remember the exact quote, and I may have read it in an early 80s NYT article. If somebody remembers it, please fill in! I feel quite the same way about this matter, tending to agree with Ms. Graham on many things.

Another quote I adored was Martha Graham talking about 'the body as garment' or perhaps 'ultimate garment', but I can't remember the exact quote, and I may have read it in an early 80s NYT article. If somebody remembers it, please fill in! I feel quite the same way about this matter, tending to agree with Ms. Graham on many things.

I have that quote among my favorite ones, papeetepatrick!. It is "The body is a sacred garment".Martha Graham. Beautiful words...

I remember reading a column in The New Yorker by Arlene Croce, years ago, and something she said stuck in my mind.... it can't be a quote because so much time and words have passed under the bridge, but it was something like:

"There comes a time in most Balanchine ballets when the stage is flooded with women."

I'd love to hear/read any more precise recollections of that.

I remember reading a column in The New Yorker by Arlene Croce, years ago, and something she said stuck in my mind.... it can't be a quote because so much time and words have passed under the bridge, but it was something like:

"There comes a time in most Balanchine ballets when the stage is flooded with women."

The words were:

" Sooner or later, the stage is flooded with women, "

Arlene Croce on George Balanchine’s "Ballo della Regina".

The words were:

" Sooner or later, the stage is flooded with women, "

Arlene Croce on George Balanchine’s "Ballo della Regina".

WOW, that was fast. Thank YOU!

And don't forget, today is NYCB's birthday (and Jerome Robbins' too).

I love this topic!

These came to mind most recently...

1)The following because I love alliteration and have always loved the poem; moreso now when it reminds me of a particular dancer:

The first line of McGee's "High Flight":

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

and danced the skies on laughter silvered wings..."

2)This from a speech by actor Russell Crowe at the BAFTA awards some years ago. I seem to remember he was 'a tad upset' when it was cut from the broadcast (whether inadvertantly or deliberately, I don't know.)

"Western cultures are often criticized for their focus on performing arts. However, singing, dance, theatre, film and all forms of creative expression serve to ignite the intellect, propel emotional development and availability, and reward us all with stories of humanity and the triumph of the human spirit."

3)And this more recently: (sorry for any mistranslations) from Angel Corella:

"Dance is a form of self-expression; it's part of our self, part of our culture, part of our lives...it's really a form of art, and art is a way of communicating in a more spiritual way. It's a way of communicating our souls without having to use any words..."

(interview 7-21-07, posted online but not sure if I can name site?)

-----and in a similar vein:

"Classical dance is not a whim of a few, but an art of the highest order that moves the masses. The public needs (classical) dance to feed their souls.

It is the most direct way to connect because it is pure feeling."

(interview 10-13-07 prior to performance in Cordoba , published in print/online www.abc.es)

There are so many wonderful quotes, so this is just one I found interesting. It's from an interview with Manuel Legris by Alessandro Bizzotto in September of last year on the Italian web site Quelliche il Cinema; I believe they were actually speaking Italian rather than French.

(http://www.quellicheilcinema.com)

"Conosco ballerini migliori di me dal punto di vista tecnico o fisico… ma quando si è in scena ciò che fa la differenza è qui… nella testa! Non solo nel fisico."

Forgive my sketchy Italian, but I translated this as:

"I know dancers better than me from the point of view of technique or physique, but when one is on stage what makes the difference is here - in your head! It’s not just the physical."

His expansion on this indicated that he meant what Nureyev described as guts - sheer will and determination, and the ability not to get thrown by whatever situation turns up - just throwing yourself totally into the performance and not letting anything sidetrack you.