19 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 07:41 AM

I believe NYCO does an agressive marketing campaign to "younger" and professional people. When I was at Columbia just a few years ago, I saw flyers posted all the time for discounted tickets for the NYCO. So, maybe these people started going to the opera while in college or graduate school and kept it up afterwards. Or maybe some see it is being good for their careers networking wise, like taking up golf smile.gif

NYCB used to do the same thing with the 4th Ring Society. I think the ad said something like, "Try to new bar scene..." And it showed a very lithe and lovely Margaret Tracey in Afternoon of a Faun standing at the barre.

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 09:48 AM

I think the 4th Ring Society is one of the good ideas in marketing. There are people who are intimidated by going to the ballet, and this is giving them a place where they know they'll be comfortable -- with "people like us". I can still remember the first time I went to the Met (to see Nureyev with the National Ballet of Canada). It was my second performance ever, and I bought matinee tickets because I felt I didn't belong there -- it was like going to a strange church. I wouldn't know when to kneel and how much money to put in the collection smile.gif Somehow, I thought I'd fit in better at a matinee smile.gif

#18 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 12:55 PM

As a Londoner I found the results of this survey rather surprising. Yes, the average ROH audience does appear to include all age groups, but the regular ballet going audience is another matter. I personally know of only three ardent ballet fans under the age of thirty and although I am not acquainted with the entire ballet going fraternity at Covent Garden, I still maintain that the average age of the regulars must be pretty high.

The income figures published are misleading too as 30,000 per year is very high, far higher than the average wage and the 15,000 per year figure probably refers exclusively to students and pensioners. I know of one lady in the latter category who performs heroic acts of self-denial in order to afford her ballet.

London now ranks as one of the most expensive cities in the world and the ROH seat prices are indicative of that. The prices in Paris for example are far lower both for ballet and the more expensive opera.

Finally I have to admit I did not fill in one of these questionnaires as I find questions concerning age and income impertinent - but perhaps that reflects the attitude of my particular age group.

#19 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 04:00 PM

Calliope, what was the reason given by those NYCB Guild members, or former members, why they are contributing to SAB but not NYCB? Personally, I like giving to SAB better, but I also give to NYCB. I'm sure they need the money. Besides, the same guy runs both organizations, as Chairman of Faculty and Ballet Master in Chief.

My "Subscriber Remarks" this year concerned the early Tuesday curtain and fewer intermissions. I dislike both. In recent years, I've had nothing to say. But following Martins' firing of Suzanne in 1993, for a couple of seasons I wrote: "SHAME! SHAME! BRING BACK SUZANNE FARRELL!" I got a letter and a phone call in response, thanking me for my opinion. As it turned out, getting fired from NYCB was not a bad thing for SF at all.

#20 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 February 2002 - 04:37 PM

I'm not sure exactly what they wrote, but the gist of it was that they were so disappointed that NYCB looked under re-hearsed in so many pieces that they'd rather give the money to the school where the kids at least would learn a ballet with proper training and amount of time for performance.
It's by no means a huge movement, but we used to have a subscription where 6 of us went, we're all in our 30's and were just amazed (some not even knowing the pieces) of what is "thrown out" there. We all cancelled the subscriptions and go every once in a while, but switched to going to other companies, instead of NYCB this spring, we'll go see the Kirov this summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):