This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

More retirements at NYCB?

I know that Alexandra runs a tight ship here, and that gossip is not tolerated, nor should it be. However, through an NYCB insider the following information has come to me:

I have had an email stating that there will be three more corps women retiring by the end of summer. I mention this because there do seem to be an unusually high number of corps departures right at this time. If it speaks to dissatisfaction within the company that is certainly a matter of concern.

The email also mentioned an imminent retirement from the soloist ranks. I am hesitant to say more since my information is not first hand. What is appropriate to say here? The information surprised me.

Thanks very much for your discretion. It's really best not to post names -- what if the dancers want to retire -- or leave -- but haven't firmed up plans yet, and management sees the names? Not a good situation.

We'll know at the end of the season.

It is difficult, though, because usually the company doesn't send out a press release with the names of corps dances who retire. If you'd like to email me or PM me with the names, I'll email NYCB press office and check -- but not until after the season and you're sure.

How's that?

To others who read this, no names, please. Thanks!