Whose Dream is Dreamier?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Whose Dream is Dreamier? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Whose Dream is Dreamier?

1. The Dream by Ashton (27 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. A Midsummer Night's Dream by Balanchine (36 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote

#31 Guest_rhythmicgymnast_*

Guest_rhythmicgymnast_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:14 PM

I chose The Dream, because I have always found Ashton's ballets to be nicer (for me), than Balanchine. but they are both excellent choreographers and it was a hard choice. I've really made an effort to educate myself on ballet, as well as attend ballets, and when I saw this poll and realised I was familar with the dances I was happy - my hard work is paying off!

#32 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

It's funny to see this poll from 2002 resurrected - people must be voting on it again.

Looking at my comments from three years ago is interesting to me in light of all the Ashton I have seen in the interim. I'm still not crazy about the Lanchberry score, but it doesn't push my buttons as much any more (familarity?). And there are so many things in the Ashton I love, but more than anything the female corps work. In Balanchine's I'm mad for Act II and the children.

Now, my answer would probably be "the one I saw last"!

#33 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:21 AM

I prefer the Ashton.

#34 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

Many thanks to whoever exhumed this thread -- very interesting to see this again.

Hans, any particular reason?

#35 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:57 PM

I think the story is structured much more coherently in Ashton's version; also, I just prefer his choreographic style to Balanchine's (that's just a personal preference; it has nothing to do with the quality of the choreography).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):