This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Meunier's First ABT Role...

Manhattnik

1. 1. Meunier's First ABT Role...

• Mercedes
    • Myrtha
    • Hagar
    • Big Swan
    • Lilac Fairy
    • Other

Imagining Meunier at ABT leads me to think of the Van Hamel repertory, so I chose Myrtha. If anyone can approach Van Hamel in this, it would probably be Meunier. She'd also make a great Episode in His Past, and could be terrific in Push Comes to Shove.

At the beginning, I'd rather see her do roles that she didn't do at NYCB, so that ruled out Lilac. And by Big Swan, you do mean Odette-Odile, don't you? They wouldn't dare put her in the corps, would they? Would they?

At the beginning, I'd rather see her do roles that she didn't do at NYCB, so that ruled out Lilac. And by Big Swan, you do mean Odette-Odile, don't you? They wouldn't dare put her in the corps, would they? Would they?

Well, this is going back a bit, but remember what they did to Rebecca Wright when she joined from the Joffrey? True, I don't think the Joffrey had formal ranks of dancers then, but by anyone's standards she was a principal there. Wright spent the longest time in the corps -- I was astonished to see her dancing one of the little black swans in the fourth act of Swan Lake (that was back when they had a proper Swan Lake and a proper fourth act). She never really made it to the principal ranks at all, perhaps appropriately. At least Meunier's starting a bit higher up the ladder than Wright, but I really could see Meunier being made to work her way through the second-banana roles, just to teach her who's boss.

Interesting that you bring her up Manhattnik.

Rebecca Wright was the first ballerina in the U.S. to dance Titania with The Joffrey Ballet, first U.S. company to do 'The Dream'.

I picked other because she'll be starting during the fall. I'm not sure whether that means she'll be doing Le Corsaire in Boston or if she'll begin at City Center. So, if she starts during the tour in Boston, she might be one of the odalesques or, ugh, the head bad guy's girl friend who dances a character dance. I hope she doesn't end up as a resident character dancer as she's got amazing technique and is a true ballerina.

If she starts at City Center, I'm guessing (since they have not announced their rep.) she might start in one of those pas de deux the stick between the Tudor revival and the new modern piece. I'm thinking Black Swan with Gomes. I'd love to see her in Symphony in C (any movement), but I can see them sticking her in the fourth movement or one of the demi soloists to show them who's boss.