This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I'm sorry no one's gotten to this Watermill. I don't think this has been released on video. As far as I it exists only as a film -- and I THINK it can be viewed at the Dance Collection in New York.

If anyone has any further information, or if this is incorrect, please add/correct.

AT is correct to say that this film has not been commercially released. the film has, however, been shown on television during the VCR era. i rem. the area in and around saratoga springs got the telecast some time ago, therefore some tapes are around of the film 'off the air'.

the NYPL for the Perf. Arts at Linc.Cent./Dance Coll. does, to be sure have a copy, as follows:

A midsummer night's dream [videorecording] / directed by Dan Eriksen ; produced by Richard Davis ; choreography by George Balanchine ; music by Felix Mendelssohn.c1967.

Description:2 videocassettes (93 min.) : sd., col. NTSC ; 3/4 in. (U-matic)

Notes:Full-length motion picture.

Performed by members of the New York City Ballet and students of The School of American Ballet.

Suzanne Farrell (Titania), Edward Villella (Oberon), Arthur Mitchell (Puck), Mimi Paul (Helena), Nicholas Magallanes (Lysander), Patricia McBride (Hermia), Roland Vazquez (Demetrius), Francisco Moncion (Theseus), Gloria Govrin (Hippolyta), Richard Rapp (Bottom), Jacques d'Amboise (Court danseur), and Allegra Kent (Court danseuse).

Released by Michael Taines ; director of photography, Arthur J. Ornitz ; production design, Howard Bay ; art direction, Albert Brenner ; costumes, Karinska.

also in the library:

A midsummer night's dream [unedited footage] [videorecording] / directed by Dan Eriksen ; produced by Richard Davis ; choreography by George Balanchine.

Imprint:1967.

Description:1 videocassette (24 min.) : si., col. NTSC ; 1/2 in. (VHS)

Notes:Letterbox format.

Unedited footage, without audio.

For the completed version of the film, which was released through Oberon Productions, Ltd., in 1967, see *MGZIC 9-1405.

Production design, Howard Bay ; art direction, Albert Brenner ; costumes, Karinska.

Suzanne Farrell (Titania), Conrad Ludlow (Titania's cavalier), Arthur Mitchell (Puck), Edward Villella (Oberon), Mimi Paul (Helena), Patricia McBride (Hermia), Roland Vazquez (Demetrius), Nicholas Magallanes (Lysander), Gloria Govrin (Hippolyta), Richard Rapp (Bottom), Francisco Moncion (Theseus), members of the New York City Ballet, children from the School of American Ballet.

Unedited footage from the film version of George Balanchine's ballet adaptation of William Shakespeare's play. The scenes, most of which are from Act I of the ballet, include Titania's pas de deux with her cavalier; Oberon's dance with the ensemble of butterflies and fairies; a mime scene in which Oberon directs Puck to find the magic flower, and Puck's ensuing journey; the four lovers wandering through a mist-shrouded forest as Hippolyta and her hounds pursue their hunt; Titania's awakening, and the removal of Bottom's enchantment. Scenes from Act II include the final pose of Theseus, Hippolyta, and the four lovers, and the reconciliation of Titania and Oberon, with the butterflies and fairies in attendance.

Wow, I can't believe that NYCB Midsummer with Farrell is video and not film. The quality (as seen in the DVD Elusive Muse) is extraordinary. Just goes to show how may lines of resolution there are on the old broadcast standard 3/4" video tape. I own an old Sony U-Matic 3/4" player and am always shocked at the quality compared to our present day 1/2 standard. The Balanchine Trust (?) should release it on DVD. What color! And then there's the dancing...

BTW: saw PNB's Midsummer in person: a wonderful production with standout performances by Patricia Barker and Christopher Stowell (Puck). Sorry to see it pounded by those who viewed the DVD.

Mme. Hermine is correct, the farrell/villella 'midsummer' IS a film and was only so released. the way tapes were gotten is from the times when VCRs were rolling when the FILM was televised. this version has NOT, to the best of my knowledge, been re-released on commercial video tape or on DVD. the film is it; the tapes are off-the-air copies of the televised film.