This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet fiction

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Poppiedancer

Poppiedancer

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2002 - 02:31 PM

Hi

I have read all of the 'Drina' series and most of the 'Wells' series and the first two 'Satin slippers' Can you get any of these on the internet? Where? I looked on the amazon site but I couldn't find them. I love to read them!

Any other series or books you could recommend?

I'm 14.

Love,
Em

#2 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2002 - 06:02 PM

You're a little old for it, but you might enjoy an old book by Noel Streatfield called "Ballet Shoes." (There are others in the series--I think I recall "Theater Shoes," among others.) You would find this in a library. You might also enjoy some biographies or autobiographies of dancers. Try Toni Bentley's "Winter Season" for a start.

#3 Helena

Helena

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 June 2002 - 11:32 PM

You can get second-hand ballet (and other) books from a site called www.alibris.com. I have used them and found them efficient. It's American, but ships anywhere, though if you are outside the U.S. the postage is a bit expensive. In my case - I'm in England - the postage was more expensive than the books, but the books were cheap!

I don't think anyone's too old for Ballet Shoes, but it's not as much about ballet as the title suggests - more about general theatrical training. Jean Estoril, who wrote the Drina series, also wrote a couple of books about "The Ballet Family", and Jean Ure might be worth looking at as well.

#4 Helena

Helena

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 June 2002 - 02:22 AM

Slight correction: Jean Estoril also wrote under the name Mabel Esther Allen, so the books might be in that name.

#5 dancingmeghan

dancingmeghan

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 11:35 AM

I love reading biographies on dancers. My favorites are Margot Fonteyn: Autobiography, Anna Pavlova-the Genius of Dance, and I second Toni Bently's book (Winter Season). And I would suggest Gelsey Kirkland book. But I've lost it! I just bought it and was just about to read it when we had to move everything for our new carpeting, and now, gone! :cool:. And then there's a fiction book that even my sister read (that's saying something!). It's called 'Dancer' but I don't remember the author.
~*Meghan*~

#6 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 11:40 AM

There's a great book called "A Candle for St. Jude" which they actually made into a movie too (hard to find the movie though)

#7 pleiades

pleiades

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 08:37 PM

A Candle For St. Jude was written by Rumer Godden. I still have the paperback copy I bought when I was in high school bazillions of years ago. It's well worth searching out.

#8 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 04:14 AM

I don't think ANYONE is too old for 'Ballet Shoes' (or any of Noel Streatfield's books for that matter!)

I am 25.

#9 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 11:29 AM

Oh, I'd forgotten about A Candle for St. Jude! Godden has also written at least two other ballet-oriented fiction titles with which I am familiar: Thursday's Children and Pippa Passes.

We've discussed ballet-books before--you might try searching previous threads (we do it at least once a year!)

Juliet

#10 Guest_DancerLegs_*

Guest_DancerLegs_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 July 2002 - 12:36 PM

Try looking under Books on Ebay.com - but I warn you, it is highly addictive! I have found many treasures there. One of my very favorite authors is Lee Wyndham - search Ebay and Alibris for her name. She wrote a number of ballet fiction novels for children and teenagers (but I still reread them even at my advanced age!) :)

#11 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 05:26 PM

There's a novel called A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson, which is about a young British girl in the early 20th century who yearns to be a ballet dancer. She winds up joining a company in South America, where she finds love as well as artistic fulfillment. It's a romantic, rather sensual story, but well written. It's out of print, but I found my copy in a library.

#12 Danielle DeVor

Danielle DeVor

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 06:32 PM

Also, a new author on the scene is a writer named Kat Corbett- she has written 2 books so far and both of them are really great. She is easily found on amazon or barnes and nobel

#13 Guest_alpusachni_*

Guest_alpusachni_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 27 July 2002 - 09:38 PM

Two good places to find books are abebooks.com and half.com

I found almost all the Satin Slippers and Drina books there. Which I had read as a child, but no longer had, and wanted to reread and keep. I also found a lot of dance bios there.

#14 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 06:36 PM

I just finished reading "Corpse de Ballet" (ya gotta love that title) by Ellen Pall. It's a whodunit, one of whose mysteries is "Who spiked the rosin?"

I thought it was really funny although I'm not sure it was intended that way. :rolleyes: The author's biases are evident from the get-go and we're constantly reminded of them throughout the novel. And you'll guess the murderer right away.

But I still liked it. Nice bit of fluff. Great for the beach.

#15 Katharyn

Katharyn

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 12:31 AM

Helena! You are officially my hero!!!! I've been unable to remember Jean Ure's name for years - I kept thinking it was Orr, or Ore...
Thankyou! Now maybe I'll be bale to find that trilogy she wrote that I loved so much.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):