This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancers' recipes

Inspired by the forthcoming publication of Alexandra's book, I consulted The Ballet Cook Book, by Tanaquil Le Clercq, and found Henning Kronstam's recipe for Roast Duck. ("Stuff with prunes, apples, and smoked tenderloin of pork.") As might be expected, George Balanchine is represented with more recipes than anyone else. Among them: Blini, Slow Beet Borschok, Speedy Beet Borschok, Jellied Borschok, Fast Soup No. 1, Fast Soup No.2, Barley Kasha, Mr. B's Sweet Kasha, Buckwheat Kasha, etc. etc. This is a really charming book, although I never tried to follow any of the recipes. There is lots of ballet lore and many amusing anecdotes. Unfortunately, I doubt there are many copies extant. It was published in 1966, and I bought my copy at an antiquarian book fair.

Somewhat along the same lines is The Dancers' Body Book, by Allegra Kent, from 1984. "Tells you how to look, feel, and move like one of the most beautiful creatures alive," says the jacket. This has some recipes too, including: Darci Kistler's Fruity Milk Shake, Suzanne Farrell's Cold Salmon with Watercress Mousseline, and Mel Tomlinson's Pineapple Dump Cake. A much younger Suzanne is also represented in Tanny's book, with a couple of Omelets (Artichoke and Zucchini), Sauerbraten, Liver and Ham Loaf, Graham Cracker Cake with Filling, and Pate Oscar. The pate is what she fed her cats at the time, Top and Bottom.