This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Re: Living with a professional

There was a thread in one of the forums which had been going on since last fall but which I happened upon yesterday for the first time. The original post was from a young girl who was excited at the prospect of a 19-year-old ballet professional coming to stay at her house. Reading all the posts in one sitting was a delightful experience -- the girl's reactions, the questions posed by others at balletalert, the gentle guidance of Victoria Leigh and Mel Johnson -- it all seemed like a poignant short story. The thread has been closed now and I don't remember the original poster's name, but I'd just like to thank and congratulate her and everyone else involved.

Well, FF, as you and I both know, the arrival of student dormitories for SAB and Julliard (and, most likely, for other dance academies) has reduced the occasions in which dancers come to stay with, shall we say, "civilians," for purely economic reasons.

Like you, I think this is a loss, for both the community at large (which could gain a better appreciation of what it takes to make great art) and for the young artists, who lose some of their already limited (they work at the very time their contemporaries are free) contact with the "real" world. To be sure, dancers face less restrictive attitudes today than in the past -- marriage to an "outsider" or even childbirth no longer lead to dismisal from a prestigious roster. But a chance to "spread the gospel" should not be wasted.