This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT doing Balanchine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 06:25 AM

After seeing what ABT did to Bizet in October at the City Center, I decided not to subject myself to that experience again. So I passed on all the Symphony in C performances at the Met. Now I hear that they have greatly improved their interpretation of this ballet. Oh well....

We did see the Tchaik. mixed bill on May 23. It was a mixed evening in every sense. I stand by my contention that ABT cannot do Balanchine, at least not in the way that I like to see it.

That said, the Tchaik. pas de deux was splendid. Not anything like I have ever seen in before (and I have seen many combinations over 25 years of watching NYCB) but exciting and lyrical all at once. I did not enjoy the interpretation of Theme and Variations, particularly the pas de deux. Found it a disservice to Balanchine's philosophy.

I'll try to write more about this later, because I have some responses to the NYT article. But now I am running late for a trip to Tanglewood, so..later!

#2 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 06:37 AM

I think it depends on who's cast.
I've seen a few Apollo's and thought they were done admirably.

Sad, they have Balanchine's house right next door. Maybe they're not watching the right version ;)

#3 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 07:16 AM

I think that, while Weese is out injured across the plaza, Gillian Murphy is about the best Balanchine dancer I can see right now for either Symphony in C, 1st Movement (not 3d movement though) or Theme and Variations. ABT did a very good overall job with the performance of Symphony in C I saw last Wednesday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):