This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT doing Balanchine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 06:25 AM

After seeing what ABT did to Bizet in October at the City Center, I decided not to subject myself to that experience again. So I passed on all the Symphony in C performances at the Met. Now I hear that they have greatly improved their interpretation of this ballet. Oh well....

We did see the Tchaik. mixed bill on May 23. It was a mixed evening in every sense. I stand by my contention that ABT cannot do Balanchine, at least not in the way that I like to see it.

That said, the Tchaik. pas de deux was splendid. Not anything like I have ever seen in before (and I have seen many combinations over 25 years of watching NYCB) but exciting and lyrical all at once. I did not enjoy the interpretation of Theme and Variations, particularly the pas de deux. Found it a disservice to Balanchine's philosophy.

I'll try to write more about this later, because I have some responses to the NYT article. But now I am running late for a trip to Tanglewood, so..later!

#2 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 06:37 AM

I think it depends on who's cast.
I've seen a few Apollo's and thought they were done admirably.

Sad, they have Balanchine's house right next door. Maybe they're not watching the right version ;)

#3 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 07:16 AM

I think that, while Weese is out injured across the plaza, Gillian Murphy is about the best Balanchine dancer I can see right now for either Symphony in C, 1st Movement (not 3d movement though) or Theme and Variations. ABT did a very good overall job with the performance of Symphony in C I saw last Wednesday night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):