This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Promotions!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the news and all the interesting comments. Like Manhattnik, I bought a pair of Rachel Rutherford's toe shoes years ago. I just went to look at them and thought congratulatory and self-congratulatory thoughts.

My wish for the new principals is that they get good head shots in the NYCB program next season. Over the years, Peter Boal's photos have been disastrous. The current one makes him look like Ivan the Terrible. Darci's photo looks nothing like her. And Kyra is better looking than that. But this seems to be a tradition at NYCB. I don't remember that there was ever a really good one of Farrell. So good luck at the photographer's.

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 09:23 AM

Hee hee.

The current photo of Peter in the NYCB program was taken by Josef Astor in 2000 as part of the promotional photos for A Shropshire Lad and Dance as Ever. I don't think it looks quite as good cropped and in the current context, but if he looks like Ivan the Terrible, I'm to blame!

We're doing new photos in early July. I promise to try and do better!

Tongue firmly in cheek and thoroughly amused. . .

#18 Miss

Miss

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 03:15 PM

Promoting men may be making room for some of these wonderful young men I read about in the workshop reviews.

Miss....anxiously waiting a train ride to NYC to see the Workshop on Monday!

#19 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Leigh Witchel

For whatever reason, it's seemed that Millepied's and Marcovici's fortunes have been yoked to the same oxen since they entered the company, which I believe they did at the same time; wasn't their promotion to soloist at the same time as well?  

Marcovici and Wheeldon entered at the same time (after the Balanchine Celebration in '93), and were definitely yoked-- actually doing a lot of the same things as demi-soloist. Millepied entered in '95 (having performed in SAB workshop in '94 and '95). He was part of that great group of men who came out of the school in '95 (Fromans, Fowler, Capps, Seth,....). Marcovici, Wheeldon, Millepied, as well as Somogyi, Ansanelli, Lyon, and Higgings were all promoted to soloist at the same time.

Regarding the yoking... it does seem, for the most part, that certain dancers careers are yoked together... M. Tracey and Whelan joined at similar times and were promoted to soloist and principal together (as well as shared a dressing room!). There seem to be times of grouped promotions and then times of individual ones (Ringer, Somogyi, A. Stafford). Interesting how that happens.

-amanda

#20 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 03:51 PM

I think Rutherford was bypassed by some younger ones (Taylor and Stafford) when she should have already been promoted. But I agree with Leigh that it does send the message that if you tough enough it out long enough you will be rewarded and thankfully she didn't have to leave the company, come back and then be recognized (a la Ringer and Tinsley)

#21 gottadance07

gottadance07

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 06:18 PM

What about Daniel Ulbricht? He is quite powerful, however I haven't had the chance to see him perform on stage; I've just seen him in class. Also, is Abi Stafford a soloist yet? Why did Tinsley leave? Sorry about the multiple questions; I'm just curious to hear others' thoughts and opinions. :)

#22 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 07:12 PM

Hi!
First of all, congrats to those promoted, if indeed it's happening. Fayette's solid partnering skills are among the best, if not the best in the company.
Abi Stafford was promoted to soloist very recently (during the winter season, if I'm not mistaken).

Ulbricht is very talented, but I don't think he will be promoted that soon . He's only 18 and got his contract less than a year ago. It's probably his height that will either hold him back or be a big push foward. At about 5ft6, there are not a lot of girls that he can reasonably partner, which limits his corps roles. Thus, if his talent continues to develop, he might actually be a candidate for soloist where he'd have less corps roles to deal with. Martins obviously is interested in him-he's been in Fancy Free, Vienna Waltzes, Prodigal Son, Mozartiana, Four Seasons, Cortege Hongrois and Sleeping Beauty among others. I'll be interested to see if he gets to do Puck when AMND roles around.

BTW, in the most recent issue of Dance Magazine the reviewer of NYCB's winter season singled out Ulbricht and Korbes as being on the fast track to soloist

There are definately some talented men at SAB, so it would be a great time to make space in the corps. My picks for promotion would be Carmena and Fowler and perhaps Capps. The Fromans are nice, but I'm not sure they are promotion material-solid but not spectacular.
It's too bad that Jared Angle has been injured, as I think he's a better partner than Millipied or Marcovici.
BTW, was Borree injured this season-she didn't dance until this past week if I'm not mistaken.
Kate

#23 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 09:21 AM

Hi!
The promotions have been announced on the NYCB webpage, so it's official. No press release, but look at the changing news bulletins at the bottom of the page.
Kate

#24 Guest_tournout_*

Guest_tournout_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 04 June 2002 - 04:32 PM

What do you all think about Tom Gold? Every time I watch a NYCB performance I cannot get over how magnificent a talent he is. I thought he would have been promoted to principal eons ago. Maybe if NYCB hired the right petite partner for him...

#25 gottadance07

gottadance07

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2002 - 05:03 AM

What do you all think about Jennifer Tinsley getting promoted? She seems like a lovely dancer to me. And hasn't she been a soloist for awhile?

#26 dancergal

dancergal

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2002 - 06:54 AM

Yeah I heard too... I'm so happy for all of them! They're all great dancers and deserved to be moved to the place they've been moved to.
-dancergal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):