This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

PBS Tonight

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 11:29 AM

I don't think Borree danced it, but I could be mistaken. The part was made on Kistler, and was very much about the virtuosity of her and her partner (Damian Woetzel, who has always done the lead, I think). Miranda Weese took the role in the mid 90's, and danced it like it was made on her.

#32 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 04:24 PM

I think I'm thinking of Jazz. Like I said they all start to blend after a while

#33 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 06:07 PM

I've been hoping to hear what Leigh and Alexandra and other longtime City Ballet watchers who were away thought. In enormous, instructive detail! ;)

I loved Mercurial Manoevres and the Lynnne Taylor-Corbett piece and was pleasantly surprised at a lot of Jeu de Cartes. But I don't care to see male dancers in red shorts, and that 2nd Martins piece was about the dullest ballet I've ever seen.

#34 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 06:28 PM

I saw it on TV -- I was in New York, but had to be at another performance that evening. I'm afraid I can't say anything in enormous instructive detail -- I can't judge dances on TV unless I've seen them live, and I hadn't in this case.

I was grateful to have seen these ballets, but my overall impression was....dull.

#35 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:01 PM

I hated Jeu de Cartes. It didn't seem to have a point, or follow the music, or anything. After 5 minutes I started to tally how many times Janie Taylor did the splits, and how many turns Woetzel did. [Unfortunately i lost count! :eek:

Chiaroscuro was pretty, but kind of boring after a while. I couldn't tell the 2 blond ballerinas apart.

Them Twos: I pitied Yvonne Borree, having to wear that obnoxious skanky costume. Dreadful music. Darci Kistler is a good dancer, but she really ought to cut her hair; it was getting all over the place!

Viola Alone wasn't too bad, but nothing special either.

Ancient Airs and Dances was a breath of fresh air musically and choreographically, but what's up with all these skirts-over-unitards costumes? Can't they come up with anything more...original? Lots of *long* blond hair at NYCB, I've noticed. Either that or they wear hair extensions.:P Ansanelli has nice feet. Janie Taylor looked better in this than Jeu de Cartes.

La Stravaganza was awful. I don't want to talk about it.

Red Angels was the highlight for me. All four dancers were great, the costumes were fitting [sorry]. Yes, it's just like every other sexualized, stretchy, athletic Forsythe-esque ballet being choreographed, but at least it held my interest.

Which is more than I can say for the Wheeldon, although I have become fond of Ringer and Bouder because of it. It seemed very repetitive, or else I was just tired at that point.

#36 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 09:15 PM

Originally posted by kirovboy
I must say that I cringe at the sight of Jock Soto.  The man has absolutely no expression, and doesnt seem to care on his appearance on stage, I dont care if you are the best partner in the company(which he is very good, but I dont believe the best) Ive seen non dancers lift girls for shows, but who would put a football player on State Theatre's stage?  I think it is time for him to move on. I rewatched the tape the other day...and incidentally fast forwarded the tape every time he was on stage, I couldnt bear to watch him.

I can't believe what I'm seeing!:eek: Jock may not have the perfect danseur body, but he is certainly not expressionless- he was one of the few I saw really become emersed in each role he did. Nor do I appreciate your comparison of him to a football player. He and some others of the company are a bit past their age for being in their top physical condition, but I enjoy watching these dancers continue on as they do just for the joy of dancing.

Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion, but I have to defend one of my favorite dancers. :)

#37 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 10:13 PM

[putting on Board Host beanie]

You are certainly allowed (and encouraged!) to defend Soto, and discuss the show, pro and con, all you wish, but I don't think any of us should take other people's opinions of our favorite dancers personally, no matter how misguided, benighted and just plain wrong they might be ;) One balletomane's La Sublimova seems to inevitably be another's La Dreckova and I don't think we'll ever got to the bottom of that mystery. By all means, no one should attack a performer, but I think that metaphor was well within the bounds of a discussion.

Back to the discussion!

[removing Board Hoast beanie]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):