This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

PBS Tonight

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 05:43 PM

I was there. It was Bouder who fell.

#17 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for settling that, Leigh. Bouder's fall proves that "Live from Lincoln Center" is just that and not "live on tape."

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 07:26 AM

Returning to the appearance of the dancers for a moment, I must say that I was appalled, if not shocked, by the failures in technique which have made major inroads into the standard of the company, corps, soloists, and principals alike. Sloppy finishes, bad fifth positions, and poor epaulement are now endemic to this company, and I was trained Balanchine! It was very disappointing.

Normally, I take falls as just something that happens, and count them neither one way nor the other, but Bouder's fall caused me to think, momentarily: "Ah, is that why classicism doesn't occur on this program; this company can't handle it anymore!" Now THAT was a shock, that thought!

#19 sarez

sarez

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 09:34 AM

Now that I've seen all of it on tape, I have an exception to my reply. I thought Red Angels was really good!!:)

#20 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 08:53 AM

Unfortunately, I heard from someone that the overnight TV ratings of this were the lowest ever for Live from Lincoln Center, so I think that means it will be a very long time before we see live ballet on television again.

#21 gottadance07

gottadance07

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 07:06 PM

Oh, that's not good. :( Wasn't the last one Swan Lake? There simply isn't enough ballet on tv now. I wish ballet were as popular as sports...:(

#22 ShesnoFonteynsMom

ShesnoFonteynsMom

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 06:55 AM

If you were forced to hazard a guess as to why there is an across the board 'failure in technique', what would that guess be?

#23 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 07:05 AM

My video ran out just after the first intermission:( I wasn't home so I missed the rest of the program. Do you think it will be released on video? I'm coming to NYC in late June, maybe I could check their gift shop or the Ballet Company boutique? From your posts it doesn't sound like it was the greatest program, but I'm still curious... would I be better off just buying a Balanchine library video instead?

#24 ronny

ronny

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 07:57 AM

Farell Fan, this is exactly the thought that I had... thousands of people tuning out during the first few minutes.

I didn't tune out but recorded the whole thing instead and was rewarded with ancient airs and dances and a few other beautiful segments. I was a little shy about making any comments on it since I didn't enjoy much of it... but now that I have read everyones comments I see that my impressions are not too different from everyone else. That is encouraging since I am so new this.

I was very pleased to see a very fine perfomance of a portion of Swan Lake in Buckingham palace at the Queens celebration just two days later. Now, that HAD some viewers... I don't think many people tuned out of that one. It was a wonderful celebration and a very nice showcase for ballet. Really wonderful.. Speaking of cards, I think the Queen really trumped the New York performance, although it was quite interesting for me to see the New York Balet company for the very first time. Very interesting to see what they are doing, so I am grateful to PBS for that.

#25 kirovboy

kirovboy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 08:45 AM

I saw the program, and really enjoyed Red Angels as well as mercurial manouevres. Although Ashley Bouder fell in MM, I thought she was a beautiful dancer, and loved the stretched, full of energy lines she has. There were some other sections of the ballets that I enjoyed, but found myself slightly bored as well. I must say that I cringe at the sight of Jock Soto. The man has absolutely no expression, and doesnt seem to care on his appearance on stage, I dont care if you are the best partner in the company(which he is very good, but I dont believe the best) Ive seen non dancers lift girls for shows, but who would put a football player on State Theatre's stage? I think it is time for him to move on. I rewatched the tape the other day...and incidentally fast forwarded the tape every time he was on stage, I couldnt bear to watch him.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 09:41 AM

I'm copying this from the 'Diamond project Poll' at the top of this thread. This is a more appropriate spot for my little rant-and-rave! :)

I finally got around to watching the videocassette of the PBS special, which Mom kindly made for me while I was in Russia. Judging from what I saw on TV...it's THUMBS DOWN all the way! ('Red Angels' & 'Mercurial Maneouvers' saved the night but, still...)

Thank God for Jenifer Ringer. Thank God for Peter Boal. But what-the-heck was with that pudgy blonde in the first number...sorry, I have a problem with baby ballerini-cheerleader-with-'heehaw smile' types. Not the type of dancer who I envision at a
Tsar's Ball. Ballet is derived from royalty - kings & tsars, isn't it? Basic elegance is the
hallmark of ballet & all that we love, isn't it? Excuse me. You have no idea how looking at that cheerleader affected me.

I'll take a second look at that video soon & perhaps I'll change my mind.

- Jeannie

#27 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:01 AM

Are you talking about Janie Taylor?! I definitely wouldn't call her pudgy, if that's who it is, the girls a twig.
And in some fairness to her, she doesn't have much to work with.

#28 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:49 AM

I don't recall the name , Calliope, but I *do* recall seeing Darci Kister in this role ca-1992/93 & the effect was definitely diferent. Kistler was (is) a million times more elegant than the 'cheerleaders.' [There are several in today's NYCB - not just this one.]

Sorry to rant about this - I know that they all work hard & try their best - but I can only think of the recent Parma-Verdi Festival telecast (seen in Europe - I saw it) in which Martins cast several of these 'pudgy blonde cheerleader types' (sorry - just a gut reaction) and I don't remember such seemingly-inelegant & immature-looking dancers being given principal roles back when I used to follow NYCB in earnest.

THEN, on top of all that, I have months of looking at Russian-Vaganova-trained dancers in my mind & can quickly pick-up on sloppy upper bodies. [Yes - I know my prejudices & am first to offer 'mea Culpa!' :) But I also have years of following & admiring NYCB, as do many of you.]

YET the Jeni Ringers & Maria Kowroskis of this world can certainly fit into a 'Tsars Ball' - they are so elegant. They are miles ahead of the 'cheerleaders'!

#29 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:55 AM

I thought Borree did the Jeu de Cartes years ago.
I can't remember anymore, they all start to look the same after a while, just different music.

As a former cheerleader though.... can't we just call them ingenues?! :)

#30 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 10:59 AM

I like "ingenue" a lot, Calliope. I'm all for it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):