This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PBS Tonight

I'm copying this from the 'Diamond project Poll' at the top of this thread. This is a more appropriate spot for my little rant-and-rave! :)

I finally got around to watching the videocassette of the PBS special, which Mom kindly made for me while I was in Russia. Judging from what I saw on TV...it's THUMBS DOWN all the way! ('Red Angels' & 'Mercurial Maneouvers' saved the night but, still...)

Thank God for Jenifer Ringer. Thank God for Peter Boal. But what-the-heck was with that pudgy blonde in the first number...sorry, I have a problem with baby ballerini-cheerleader-with-'heehaw smile' types. Not the type of dancer who I envision at a

Tsar's Ball. Ballet is derived from royalty - kings & tsars, isn't it? Basic elegance is the

hallmark of ballet & all that we love, isn't it? Excuse me. You have no idea how looking at that cheerleader affected me.

I'll take a second look at that video soon & perhaps I'll change my mind.

- Jeannie

I don't recall the name , Calliope, but I *do* recall seeing Darci Kister in this role ca-1992/93 & the effect was definitely diferent. Kistler was (is) a million times more elegant than the 'cheerleaders.' [There are several in today's NYCB - not just this one.]

Sorry to rant about this - I know that they all work hard & try their best - but I can only think of the recent Parma-Verdi Festival telecast (seen in Europe - I saw it) in which Martins cast several of these 'pudgy blonde cheerleader types' (sorry - just a gut reaction) and I don't remember such seemingly-inelegant & immature-looking dancers being given principal roles back when I used to follow NYCB in earnest.

THEN, on top of all that, I have months of looking at Russian-Vaganova-trained dancers in my mind & can quickly pick-up on sloppy upper bodies. [Yes - I know my prejudices & am first to offer 'mea Culpa!' :) But I also have years of following & admiring NYCB, as do many of you.]

YET the Jeni Ringers & Maria Kowroskis of this world can certainly fit into a 'Tsars Ball' - they are so elegant. They are miles ahead of the 'cheerleaders'!

I don't think Borree danced it, but I could be mistaken. The part was made on Kistler, and was very much about the virtuosity of her and her partner (Damian Woetzel, who has always done the lead, I think). Miranda Weese took the role in the mid 90's, and danced it like it was made on her.

I've been hoping to hear what Leigh and Alexandra and other longtime City Ballet watchers who were away thought. In enormous, instructive detail! ;)

I loved Mercurial Manoevres and the Lynnne Taylor-Corbett piece and was pleasantly surprised at a lot of Jeu de Cartes. But I don't care to see male dancers in red shorts, and that 2nd Martins piece was about the dullest ballet I've ever seen.

I saw it on TV -- I was in New York, but had to be at another performance that evening. I'm afraid I can't say anything in enormous instructive detail -- I can't judge dances on TV unless I've seen them live, and I hadn't in this case.

I was grateful to have seen these ballets, but my overall impression was....dull.

I hated Jeu de Cartes. It didn't seem to have a point, or follow the music, or anything. After 5 minutes I started to tally how many times Janie Taylor did the splits, and how many turns Woetzel did. [unfortunately i lost count! :eek:

Chiaroscuro was pretty, but kind of boring after a while. I couldn't tell the 2 blond ballerinas apart.

Them Twos: I pitied Yvonne Borree, having to wear that obnoxious skanky costume. Dreadful music. Darci Kistler is a good dancer, but she really ought to cut her hair; it was getting all over the place!

Viola Alone wasn't too bad, but nothing special either.

Ancient Airs and Dances was a breath of fresh air musically and choreographically, but what's up with all these skirts-over-unitards costumes? Can't they come up with anything more...original? Lots of *long* blond hair at NYCB, I've noticed. Either that or they wear hair extensions.:P Ansanelli has nice feet. Janie Taylor looked better in this than Jeu de Cartes.

La Stravaganza was awful. I don't want to talk about it.

Red Angels was the highlight for me. All four dancers were great, the costumes were fitting [sorry]. Yes, it's just like every other sexualized, stretchy, athletic Forsythe-esque ballet being choreographed, but at least it held my interest.

Which is more than I can say for the Wheeldon, although I have become fond of Ringer and Bouder because of it. It seemed very repetitive, or else I was just tired at that point.

Originally posted by kirovboy

I must say that I cringe at the sight of Jock Soto.  The man has absolutely no expression, and doesnt seem to care on his appearance on stage, I dont care if you are the best partner in the company(which he is very good, but I dont believe the best) Ive seen non dancers lift girls for shows, but who would put a football player on State Theatre's stage?  I think it is time for him to move on. I rewatched the tape the other day...and incidentally fast forwarded the tape every time he was on stage, I couldnt bear to watch him.

I can't believe what I'm seeing!:eek: Jock may not have the perfect danseur body, but he is certainly not expressionless- he was one of the few I saw really become emersed in each role he did. Nor do I appreciate your comparison of him to a football player. He and some others of the company are a bit past their age for being in their top physical condition, but I enjoy watching these dancers continue on as they do just for the joy of dancing.

Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion, but I have to defend one of my favorite dancers. :)

[putting on Board Host beanie]

You are certainly allowed (and encouraged!) to defend Soto, and discuss the show, pro and con, all you wish, but I don't think any of us should take other people's opinions of our favorite dancers personally, no matter how misguided, benighted and just plain wrong they might be ;) One balletomane's La Sublimova seems to inevitably be another's La Dreckova and I don't think we'll ever got to the bottom of that mystery. By all means, no one should attack a performer, but I think that metaphor was well within the bounds of a discussion.

Back to the discussion!

[removing Board Hoast beanie]