This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Top 20 companies

Guest AEDancer

Hi my name is Megan too!!! I definitly agree with you on the companies minus a few!!!! But good work!!! -Megan

Hi ed! haha, I guess it is my turn to post my idea! Im very opinionated, but I think I know my stuff;) Let me first tell you that I am rating these companies on the technical level of the dancing in the company, the reputation of the companies that I have heard, and not on financial stability(though that may play some part in my list). So here we go, in no particular order, I actually like to go east coast north and around counterclockwise somewhat.

1. Boston Ballet

2. ABT

3. NYCB

4. Houston Ballet

5. SFB

6. PNB

7. PA Ballet

8. Carolina ballet

9. Miami City Ballet

10. Joffrey

11. Ballet West

12. Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre

13. Washington Ballet

14. Orlando Ballet

15. Milwaukee Ballet

16. Cincinatti Balet

17. Kansas City Ballet

18. Tulsa Ballet

19. Colorado Ballet

20. Atlanta Ballet

There is my list, I dont want to offend anybody, I may have forgotten one or two and replaced them with others, so please dont be upset with my list! But there it is. Let me know what you think!

Here is their website.

http://www.balletmet.org/

Click on About BalletMet at the top and then when a brief description loads look to the left you can click on History and/or Repertoire for detailed info.

Among other facts

Annual operations of $5.4 million for the 2001-02 season rank BalletMet among the 15 largest dance companies in the nation.
BalletMet ranks among the nation's top 15 dance companies. Energized, eclectic, ensemble company of 27 soloist caliber artists. Diverse repertoire ranges from classical ballet to contemporary masterworks.
The 1,000 student Dance Academy ranks among the nation's five largest dance training centers affiliated with professional companies.

Hey! I am not to sure where I would rank BalletMet, being that I did have a friend there that is an incredible dancer, I would say that the company must be pretty good, as well as the fact that Stanton Welch is(or was) the artistic director assistant(or associate or something like that). In my past post though, I was going specifically on what I know of the companies from what Ive seen and heard. And although I have a friend there, I dont know too much about the dancers of the company. I have heard(keyword heard), that the dancers are generally good, but dont have the best facility(not that it matters, you use what you have), but they dont seem to have too much of a national reputation. Perhaps I just havent read anything on the company! So yes Balletmet could be up there, but I definitely wouldnt base it on the idea that they have a larger budget than many regional companies! Carolina ballet is an incredible company, and their budget isnt too great! Money isnt everything! But I reiterate that Balletmet could well be up there.

There are several mid-sized companies not on that Top 20 list, including, in addition to Ballet Met:

Alabama Ballet (former ABT star Wes Chapman is director);

Ballet Austin (Stephen Mills, director);

Ballet Arizona (former City Ballet and Royal Danish star Ib Andersen, director);

Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley (Dennis Nahat, director)

Oakland Ballet (Karen Brown, former DTH dancer, director)

Guest dublindancer722

I agree with kirovboy.... Balletmet has very good dancers (although I can't say I've seen many of the companies on the top 20 list) Balletmet has excellent studios, two of which are seperated by a dividing wall thing, which closes to form the biggest studio in the country. Balletmet also has the Ohio Theater, which really is wonderful. They have an excellent artistic director, Gerard Charles, and an excellent artisitc associate, Stanton Welch. They have many amazing dancers, however, the thing that this company lacks is response from the public. Let's face it, Columbus, Ohio, does not have the same appreciation for the arts that many other cities have. Since Mr.Nixion became artisitc director (he left) Balletmet has gotten a much better response from the box office. Columbus will just probably never be a large enough city with enough people that appreciate the ballet.

I think the whole idea of declaring twenty "top" companies is a bit of a futile chore. Perhaps we can establish the top three or four companies, perhaps, that is, but after that, we'll have to admit that the next level is held by three or four companies, then the next after that by five or so, and the next thing you know, long before twenty, we'll have exhausted every professional company in the US, and start to reach into the top reaches of the civic companies.

Agree, Mel. Agree, agree, agree :) Also, the situation below the top institutional rank is so very fluid. An artistic director moves, a donor dies or puts his money elsewhere, and the situation changes. When doing the calendar for Ballet Alert! we try to include about 40 companies -- not saying they're "the top," just the largest, anything above "We do Nutcracker and a kid's show every spring" companies.

Guest dublindancer722

Ed McPherson~ the company is located in Columbus, OH. The rep includes all the classics (Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Don Quixote, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast) and a few more contemporary pieces (X-File Messiah, Ballet in Scarlet and Gray, Dracula)