This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've just spent a very long weekend in NY with 6 ballet performances in 4 days. I'm not going to review the ballets but rather give impressions. Even though I've been going to ballet for waaaay over 50 years I'm a neophyte in many ways. The "learning to watch ballet" thread on the Discovering Ballet forum is thought provoking. To wit:

If you enjoyed the ballet it served its purpose whether it was great or lousy.

There are many ways to watch a ballet. The "too educated" lose the innocent enjoyment of the newcomer. But then there was the glorious night of my first "The Dream" and my first "Monotones II" (ahhhh) and without the little knowledge I do have they, especially "Monotones II", would have been lost on me.

And so, NY:

I saw Maria Kowroski for the first time, as exciting an experience as the first time I saw Wendy Whelan. I'm going to follow her every move....as much as a Californian can. Anyone not accessable to NY is missing NYCB careers right and left; it's ballet history never to be recovered.

I saw Paloma Herrera in "Theme and Variations" and she was better than I've seen her in years. It was wonderful to see her exhibit the potential she showed as a newcomer.

"The Dream" is a dream of a ballet. Ashton is a dream of a choreographer.

Most of all.....Julio Bragado-Young as Bottom broke my heart. As he realized that his time with Titania wasn't real, his sorrow was almost more than I could bear.

Giannina

Wow Giannina, that is a bunch of ballets in such a short time! :)

Happily, I, too, had the pleasure of watching Friday night's performances by ABT of The Dream and Symphony in C as well as meeting up with you and a few other Alertniks.:)

I enjoyed Ashton's distillation of Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night Dream and loved the final pas de deux between Titania (Allesandra Ferri) and Oberon (Ethan Stiefel). And, as an aside, I hear that one awkward move was removed for the next performance!

However, as much as I really love Shakspeare's tale - and it is one of my favorites - my heart belonged to Symphony C, that night. It was then that I knew I was a goner, hooked forever. Seeing these dancers perform on the Met's stage what I'd seen them attempt at City Center was an eye opener! I will not brook anyone's criticisms ;), for I loved every second of Balanchine's piece along with Bizet's music. For me, Nina Ananiashvili was the high point and yes, I am also a sucker for Angel Corella. :D

Many thanks for bringing it all back to mind, Giannina - and I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time with NYCB as well!

It was great meeting so many Alertniks. I only managed five performances in four days. I know, I'm a slacker.

I might write something longer later, but I'd just like to mention one of the artistic high points of the weekend -- Nina Ananiashvili dancing a very, very savvy performance of Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux (with Carreno) on Monday night, with tiny red, white and blue flowers in her hair. Part of being a great artist (and glamorous) is knowing what's appropriate, and when. In this respect, Ananiashvili has become quite beyond compare.