Bolshoi versus Kirov -- once more ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Sacto1654

Sacto1654

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Bolshoilover, before Vasiliev, Fadeyechev, and those who followed was the Era of Yuri Grigorovich. The 'Age of Spartacus,' if you will...the great big Soviet Hero. The entire esthetic was big, all-powerful, Soviet, oomph...less finesse and no eye towards happenings in the West. Simple answer to a complex question.

If they ever revive The Bronze Horseman it will be a Bolshoi production. Despite what all the people in Saint Petersburg think, it was the Bolshoi version of this ballet that is best remembered by old-time Russian balletomanes (I believe Stalin favored this version, too).

#32 bolshoi lover

bolshoi lover

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

Bolshoilover, before Vasiliev, Fadeyechev, and those who followed was the Era of Yuri Grigorovich. The 'Age of Spartacus,' if you will...the great big Soviet Hero. The entire esthetic was big, all-powerful, Soviet, oomph...less finesse and no eye towards happenings in the West. Simple answer to a complex question.

Did people like Kirov more than Bolshoi in 1980s? Are the Swan Lake DVD(1989,danced by Alla Mikhalchenko),and Raymonda DVD(danced by Semenyaka),and Legend of Love DVD(1990) filmed in the Era of Yuri Grigorovich?If they are,I like the Era of Yuri Grigorovich.I like it's Soviet,less fineness,powerful...Dancers were all supermen and superwomen then.Now Bolshoi dancers are normal dancers,not supermen anymore.I like that Soviet style very much.Now the whole world is getting more and more alike.

#33 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

You got a point. I'm sort of attracted too to that extravagant breed...and nope, you don't see it that often anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):