Ecole de Danse de l'Opera National de Paris

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 britomart

britomart

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 08:08 PM

Estelle, thank you for the supplemental info!

Of course, I realize that these are young dancers, and that traveling overseas even for seasoned perfomers is no easy feat. I can't imagine that anything said here is done so to denigrate or discourage, merely to comment on what was seen--something both subjective and dependent on circumstance. One has to admire these young people (and no, the stage was not raked; I imagine it is at home) just for coming here and doing such a professional job at a young age. I remember about a year ago when the reviews for the SAB workshop were coming out here on BalletAlert, and there was some discussion about whether or not it was fair to review students, and it is certainly a tougher forum than is usually presented.

That said, I'll stick by my programming complaints. I wish, that under the circumstances, (traveling, new stage, etc.) that they could do what they have rehearsed (like Western--and I understand your feelings BW about the piece in general-- and feel comfortable in. But perhaps that is part of the "experience"--that the school wants them to see/get used to some of the realities of a professional life. That's understandable, if hard on the students. I wish them all well in there futures, and am sure we'll see many of them again, whether at the POB or elsewhere.

#17 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 04:18 AM

Today, the NY Times reviewed this program. I posted it under the links section: http://64.247.33.2/~...=&threadid=5329

Ms. Kisselgoff agrees with much of what has been written here...but not entirely - she actually felt Mr. Bart's ballet, "Peches de Jeunesse served the students well...or visa versa. :)

#18 ShesnoFonteynsMom

ShesnoFonteynsMom

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2002 - 06:18 PM

Tobi Tobias has a review of both and some thought provoking
premises.

www.nymag.com/page.cfm?page_id=6117

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):