This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Hispanico

Guest pumpitupem

Guest pumpitupem

Hey guys, Ballet Hispanico is performing in my city. I really want to see them and I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of mood their shows projected. What type of things do they do? Is it a mix of ballet and flamanco? I would appreicate your knowledge! Thank you!

We saw Ballet Hispanico at the Detroit Opera House in November, 2000 and it was one of the least memorable nights in the theater I can (almost not) recall.

The lighting was great--there was one number that included silhouettes of dancers behind a scrim while other dancers were performing downstage. A very striking effect.

Based on my varying degrees of ignorance of the different art forms involved, I would say the choreography is modern dance with strong flamenco and folk influences using some movement generally seen in ballet. At least one number they did was choreographed by Ann Reinking, so Broadway style dance is also part of their repertory.

By all means, see Ballet Hispanico and please post your impressions of it to he board.