This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

west side story suite

hey!

ok this is u very dumb simple question, can enayone tell me anything about west side story suite, ive seen the film but ive never seen this ballet and i would love to know how it has been adapted, is it just the dance numvers from the musical linked together or is it longer that that? and wats this about singing??!!

any info would b much appreciated!!

thanx !!

xx

It's an ingenious adaptation of the musical which includes both dancing and singing. Some of the remembrances of Helene noted her amazing performance. My personal favorite was Nikolai Hubbe doing "Cool, man". Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be in the repertoire this season.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I think it's around 40-45 minutes so obviously not everything is included. Robbins called it a "distillation" of the West Side Story material from "Jerome Robbins Broadway". And yes, the dancers can certainly "hack" it. Helene, as I've noted, brought down the house a Anita. She could certainly have a future on Broadway if she doesn't want to give up the business.