This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

the best gift for a dancer?

Guest permak

Guest permak

Hi, i have a female friend that lives and breathes ballet. My question is what would she like as a present? Her birthday is coming up, june 4th to be exact.

I thought about, ballet books, videos, tickets, but i dunno the cost of such items...

Im looking at around 20-30 dollars to spend, any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

You didn't say if your friend is a child, teen or adult.

My daughter is in her early twenties and a good gift in that price range could be a pretty pair of drop earrings, or clips for her hair, or a nice scarf. There are good books of ballet photos too.

If you are thinking of something to help her relax her aching muscles, bath oil and candles are nice.

If she's younger, there are many wonderful stuffed ballerinas -- cats, bears, even cows and frogs!

I agree, some sort of foot care thing is nice. For my last birthday, my friend got me a package with foot scrub, foot lotion, a roller-thingy, and all sorts of other stuff, like a pumice stone and a little scrub brush. It's really nice to come home after a hard class and give myself a foot bath. I would strongly suggest that. Other than that, there is all sorts of dance paraphernalia, as mentioned by Doris R. Another thing that's a little more practical is if you know what sorts of things she uses on her feet for pointe, you could get a supply (I'm always in need of bandaids, for example), or hair pins and hair nets. Those are more for on the side, but it's always the practical stuff that I need, so it's just a suggestion. Hope this helps:)

I know this might sound strange, but if she commutes, metro tickets are normally appriciated (The cost tends to build up). Other than that, tights, tights and more tights! Or a rubik's cube, to pass time backstage at performances. Mine was the best present I ever got! I now own two so I can always have one in my ballet bag. I know that's not really related to ballet, but for me, it is essential.

Permak

Just a word of caution for you. I am very unschooled in ballet but have daughters who are very serious about ballet. As they became your friend's age they knew a LOT about ballet. What I thought was a beautiful ballet object was not acceptable to them at all. Those of us who have not had years and years of ballet classes do not recognize that a lot of ballet "art" shows dancers with very poor technique--turned in feet, un-arched feet, bent knees, etc. My dancers would not display those objects in their rooms --when they were younger and less astute --they enjoyed the lovely pink tutu pictures but as they became older they were offended by those same pictures. You would be safe buying ballet items that are produced by/for /about professional ballet companies, but would probably be safer steering clear of cutsey ballet art by independent groups. I'm sure she will love whatever you decide to give her --just because it is from you.

Guest dancing frog

Ballet books are a great idea! I wish I got more of them. The public library in my town doesn't have a very good selection of ballet books.

d_frog:cool:

This idea may not fit your budget, but my mother, a dancer, was especially fond of pins on dance themes: toe-shoe pins, ballerina pins (her favorite wore a sterling silver long tutu trimmed with tiny pearls), even bird pins (she had several swans, a pair of doves, and an owl I brouhgt her from Poland).

If it's beautiful in its own right and suggests that she is as strong, gorgeous, and graceful as she hopes to be, she will love it.

About the pins -- although my "dancing daughter" does not collect them, several years ago I started picking them up at flea markets, antique malls, e-bay, etc. I have a small collection now from which to chose when I want to wear one (which I usually do to a performance), and keep them displayed in a glass topped table. My favorite is probably a silver ballerina in a romantic tutu -- about two inches long. I also have one with "stones" that is a man supporting a woman that is another favorite. I own about 20 now and I love them!

I have always loved paintings of dancers. Plus, I'm just an all around artsy person, so I love anything artistic. And the gift certificate to a massage or spa sounds like an excellent idea! Little dance ornaments are always lovely. I've always had a liking for ornaments with the ballerinas in Swan Lake costumes, and they had their leg in arabesque.

Guest balletbelle

I just got a gift from one of my friends from dance that is the best gift a dancer can get, in my opinion. She took a picture of me putting on my pointe shoes and got it framed in a frame with ballet shoes and the word dream on it. I love it! :D

Guest Annika Fidelle

I would buy foot care things, or I would simply get her away from ballet and take her out to lunch.