This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SAB Workshop

Guest SABkid

Guest SABkid

Hey.

Quick question. To anybody who actually has gone to SAB's Workshops...how are they usually? Do people actually enjoy them, or is the audience pretty critical? As students, we usually never get to hear other's perspectives on the performance.

So that's it for now.

Thanks. :(

I've been to SAB Workshop performances - not all of them, though, but a few. In general, the natives are friendly, and do not often bite. I go for enjoyment - to see works that are sometimes not in the current NYCB active repertoire, and also to learn about the new generation of SAB students that is coming up. It's very instructive, and also a good chance for me to socialize with old fellow-students and colleagues I may not have seen for years. The kids are always great after the performance, and I've had a good time chatting with a lot of them.

I have been in workshop performances in the past and they are very critical. You either make it or you don't. I've heard some scary stories about things that have happened in the past. Once in Divert the soloist rolled over on her point shoe and hurt her ankle. Luckly it was the finale. But no company asked her to join them sadly. I used to go to SAB, but now I don't. I'm glad I got out of there while I could, it sucks ya in! Maybe things are different now, and I hope they are. Best of luck. What ballets are you performing in by the way?

Let me point out, though, that "either you make it or you don't" could refer to any performance, and that although the unnamed lead in D15 may or may not have been employed by a company after SAB, none of us is party to what the career choice of the dancer was, so it could very easily have been her preference over anything that happened in a single show. Smart companies don't bet on only one race - they've got the whole background to consider when hiring, and, of course, a dancer may choose not to continue with a career at any point. There may be a "pressure cooker" intensity at the school with this sort of thing, but I can assure you, the audiences are not impolite or unfriendly, even the members from the "non-NYCB world".

I have been to a number of performances over the years and while the level of intensity is high, onstage and off, it is also **extremely** supportive on the outside of the curtain. I feel that the level of love and excitement in the audience is almost palpable...you have many families, different generations, vast differences in expectations, experience, and background but one thing that ties everyone together is support for the performers....many parents have this one chance a year to see their children dance and it is a really moving experience to watch and listen to everyone around you....

The audience will surprise you very pleasantly, SABkid, by the warmth of its response. Everyone in that auditorium is hoping that you do well....most are aware of the long hours of practise and no one looks for someone to do badly. This is admittedly a very cruel art, and the practitioners are among the most self-critical on the face of the earth....the level of competition is very high and the milieu is not for everyone.

Generally, people who are not happy with this sort of a program find other avenues to explore or a setting which they find more congenial....one finds a level of behaviour with which one is comfortable and then others' criticism, real or imagined, take their proper place on the horizon. Accidents happen, castings change, disasters lurk, but all in all, these performances are very well received. I find an enthusiasm at Workshop which is exceedingly invigorating--I love seeing people during and after, hearing others' opinions, and the relief and happiness afterward are indescribable--all those years of sacrifice, work and tedium are rewarded by a very responsive audience.

I hope you have a great and rewarding performance, SABkid--:)

SABkid, never you worry! I love the Workshop Performances and find the energy level inspiring, to say the least! The year before last, when I attended in order to see a relative perform, one of the lead ballerinas slipped and fell but it all happened so fast that many in the audience missed it...and guess what? She was offered a position at Miami City Ballet! :)

So listen to your "elders" here and enjoy yourself because it's a wonderful time for all.

And,'merde' to you, SABkid! :)

Guest SABkid

Thanks guys. I'm new to Ballet Talk, but I'm suprised how nice you guys are. LOL. It's good to know that people actually care about ballet now a days. For a while, I thought the general publc was becoming bored with seeing the same productions over and over, but atleast SAB workshops offer a variety of things.

But thanks again.

SABkid, there have already been two threads about the upcoming SAB workshop:

http://www.balletalert.com/forum/showthrea...=&threadid=4988

and

http://www.balletalert.com/forum/showthrea...=&threadid=4989

As you can see, some people already are looking forward to seeing your performances! :)

Some reviews of the previous workshops had been posted in previous years, but I don't know if it still is possible to read them on this site.

I have never seen any SAB workshop (I live in France :) ) but have seen several school performances (Paris Opera Ballet school, Paris Conservatoire, Lyon Conservatoire) and each time the audience was enthusiastic, and very admirative of the students' hard work.

As the mom of a couple of former SAB Workshop performers, I will agree that the audience is very supportive of the dancers. We parents usually do not know each other since we are from all over the country. We meet each other in the theatre and introduce ourselves. We support each other hoping that the performance goes well for ALL of the performers. I have been to many workshop performances--whether my daughters were performing or not--and have always found them to be very exciting performances. The first Workshop that I attended included a performance of Serenade. I have seen Serenade many times since, but have never been so mesmerized by a ballet again. It was absolutely wonderful. Have a great time whether you are performing or watching--everyone there will be having a wonderful time also.