This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Youth Grand Prix America

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#46 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 08:36 AM

Just wondering, if anyone heard Francis Mason's remarks on WQXR?

Oh, Vagansmom, I wish I had been given a program when I was there - didn't see anything in writing - I've heard so many great things about Barry Hughson - and not just from you, either. It would have made that particular piece even more interesting... because there were no programs handed out at the door for the finals, I had to rely on my seat mates to keep me informed!:(

The good news is as Victoria wrote:

The awards were, IMO, fair and well deserved. I had no problems with that part of it at all, other than the way they were presented. Lots of talent there from lots of places!

So let's hope next year will be better in the logistics department!:)

#47 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 07:18 PM

Sorry, balletmama, I didn't hear him:( - I did hear he said something "good" however, I would have liked to know exactly what it was that he did say!:( He is a very interesting man, and I really like him...but I don't know when he is on the air. Maybe WQXR has a website?!:)

#48 aubri

aubri

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 08:25 AM

All I have to say about the Youth Grand Prix is that it is exremely badly organizes.
When one of the participant chose, after looking at the list of the repertoire suggested, a variation pay for a costume and hour of coaching, you cannot go to her after and tell her that she cannot use the solo chosen because of problems with copyrights.
The girl choose to dance "Sylvia" solo from the pas de deux choreographed by Balanchine, just as it is suggested on the list of the repertoire :
:youth grand prix repertoire
Then she reads on her evaluation "wrong Choreography" then told that she couldn't use Balanchine Choreography because of the right problem with the Trust. Well it unadmissible to do that to a young student, that of course was distressed and confuse and needed a lot of guidance after that, without talking about the money spent on a costume and long hour of training.
If the dirgeant of the competiton knew about that ( by the way "Sylvia" is still a choice on the site) they should have noticed all the dancer that decided to dance that choreography or tell them to get the right or to simply find another solo to dance.

:confused: :mad

#49 aubri

aubri

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 03:48 PM

I so agree with Victoria, unfortunately parents or child wants to got often to fast, but you shouldn't put the carriage before the horses.

#50 aubri

aubri

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 May 2002 - 07:26 PM

I have to agree with Victoria, one would think that after a couple of year they would get it right, but it was as badly organized as the first one,I also agree with Victoria with the age problem. It was more than amateurish, it was embarassing, I am sorry that such young dancers had to be exposed to that......:(

#51 aubri

aubri

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 01:32 PM

So why bother with regional? :confused:

#52 bhough

bhough

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 09:23 AM

I attended this competition last year with my daughter and determined at that time to never return because of the disorganization, which caused undue stress to the competitors, coaches and parents. From your description, Victoria, it sounds as if things were even more chaotic this year than last year. It's a shame, because it could be a nice opportunity for students. Even though recreational competitions are not advocated here, I will say this for them - they are highly organized, you can understand the announcers, the rules do not change and the rules apply to EVERYONE. The organizers of Youth Grand Prix could learn alot about this business of showcasing talent in the form of a competition from some of these other events. Frankly, after last year and the problems we saw, I am surprised that they are still attracting competitors. The only conclusion I can come to is that people are not familiar with what a well organized competition can be like, so they put up with the confusion and delays.:confused: We are currently involved with the USAIBC and so far they have been HIGHLY organized and I feel a certain comfort level already about my daughter's participation in this event.:(

#53 G

G

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 12:03 AM

A couple (late) notes/opinions on YAGP:

At the regional level, there are more than 6 "winners". YAGP accepts dancers in the classical division (1st, 2nd, and 3rd in junior, senior, and pre-competative); in the contemporary division (1st, 2nd, and 3rd in junior, senior, and pre-competative); and in the Grand Prix which is a combined score of the dancers' classical and contemporary performances (1st in junior and senior). There is also a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for ensambles.

Youngest age is the "pre-competative" division for 8 to 11 year olds. Juniors are 12 - 14 year olds. Seniors are 15 - 19 year olds.

Concerning 11 and 12 year olds doing adult variations on pointe - that should not be blamed on YAGP or the organizers. Wouldn't that be the fault of the teachers/coaches who are training these dancers?

A note on scholarships - an ABT contract is offered to the Senior Grand Prix winner. Other scholarships are not awarded by the judges, but by representatives of the donating organization, some of which may be judges and some just observers.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards are scored on a point system by the judges. Junior and senior Grand Prix winners are determined by a consensus of judges opinions and not necessarily according to points. In some cases, no Grand Prix award is presented if the judges can't come to an agreement.

G

#54 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 06:24 PM

Students from my children's ballet school competed the first 2 years of this event, going directly to the finals (although last year one of them chose to travel to a regional, also, winning 2nd place in the contemporary and tying for 1st in the classical in the grand prix category of the junior division).

They were given the privilege of going straight to the finals because their teacher was a judge at the competition as well as the choreographer of the grand defilé (the young dancers ballet) and they trusted her judgement in choosing and coaching students for the event.

The dancer seen all year in the ads in Dance Magazine, Pointe, and Dance Spirit is one of these students.

#55 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 01:37 PM

BW, I was afraid someone would assume from my post that a judge was judging his/her own students and I was right. But you are wrong! Of course my daughter's teacher did not judge her own students! She had no influence whatsoever in the judging of the dancers she coached and brought to the competition.

While going directly to the finals may be unorthodox, in this case, I feel I must explain about this particular teacher. She is the artistic director of over 12 international ballet galas, and in her capacity as such, chooses the ballet stars of tomorrow, on occasion propelling them right out of the corps to stardom. She has been presenting ballerinas and danseurs from the top ballet companies in the world annually in Paris, New York (Lincoln Center), Toronto, and several other world-class cities since 1993. Certainly, she knows which students to send to a ballet competition as well.

Since video auditions are allowed from those who can't travel to the semi-finals, then the judgement of an internationally known ballet master teacher should also count. I don't think that this was the only such 'breach' of the usual protocol, either.

That said, even our school didn't participate this year. ;)

#56 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 12:47 PM

Several posts, including one by YAGP and responses to it by Victoria, Leigh, and myself, have been deleted after much discussion among the moderators. While we appreciate YAGP taking the time to read and consider the comments by participants and observers and to post on many points that had been made, we felt that the effect of the post was to squelch discussion. Also, there were some things in the post that were, to put it politely, public relations material. As an editor, I wouldn't print unfiltered public relations material, and I think we have to have the same standard here.

I'm also going to delete the thread that Aubri started called Yagp because it responded to something in one of the now deleted posts.

#57 SusanB

SusanB

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 06:26 PM

Alexandra,

I think it is only reasonable to permit YAGP representatives to respond to criticisms in this forum. Squelching their reply is your perogative, but if you won't allow a response, then you shouldn't allow the critcism either. It really appears to be taking sides on the part of BalletAlert. Further, it didn't seem to be a PR motive at all on the part of YAGP -- more like an attempt to present their responses.

#58 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 06:38 PM

This is Your Friendly Board Host here.

Susan - I understand your concern about equal time and fair play, but I'm going to ask that this discussion take place on the "About this Site" forum. It's too confusing and counterproductive if threads degenerate into discussions about the thread itself rather than the issues discussed.

If anyone would like to discuss a posting issue with the moderators (on any topic, not just this one) kindly do so on either "About this Site" or via email, not within the thread itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):