17 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 08:33 AM

Good point about "being able to do modern" Jeannie. (I wonder why Paul Taylor's company doesn't do "Symphony in C" or "Agon" to "prove" that they can do ballet? Note to Paul.... :) )

The NOTRegional companies seem to be required to have an entire evening of Beyond Paul Taylor -- an entire evening of buttkick ballets (those that, as the artistic director will tell you, proud that he's being outrageous, "We're gonna kick ballet's butt into the 21st century) specially chosen to attract people who don't like ballet to attend ballet performances, hence expanding the audience.

#17 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 12:10 AM

I would also like to clarify what I meant when I said I was glad not to be a critic. It isn't so much that I hate the face of dance today as much as it is that I am so very opinionated, picky, and hard to please that, were I a critic, I'd be buried under millions of defamation lawsuits!:D

#18 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 07:45 AM

In today's link's, there's an article in Toronto's National Post which talks of a summit hosted by the National Ballet of Canada where 11 artistic directors are convening to discuss issues.

http://www.nationalp....html&qs=ballet

Communication is an important thing, but what do people think might be the possible effects? I wonder if we'll see more repertory traded among them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):