This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tutus

Guest La Sylphide

Guest La Sylphide

okay, I know for a fact that all you girls out there love tutus!! I mean every ballet dancer loves tutus, right?? Well, I was wondering what would all of your dream tutus be?? What different kinds have you ever worn, what kind was your favorite??

I've only worn one tutu, and it was for Waltz of the Flowers for my schools Spring Repratory Program. It was very pretty, and the bodice was brand new!! The bodice was kind of a medium shade of green with sparkles and flowers on it. We had ruffles on our arms and flowers in hair. The bottom part had several layers and was a very pretty pinkish magenta color.

This Spring I'll be wearing a Stars and Stripes costume because my studio is doing Stars and Stripes as part of our Spring program. We're renting SFB's costumes, needless to say they're adorable!! We have pink tutus with a blue bodice, white glozes and a little hat tilted to the side of our heads. I think this is my favorite.:)

I'd love to hear about your dream tutus, thank you for any replys.:)

The only tutu I ever wore was itchy and ugly. Maybe that's why I became a modern dancer.

However I MADE a couple of really beautiful rose colored tutus for an opera. They were romantic tutus cut at about the knee. That kind of Degas look. We used "sparkle" tulle which is made with rayon as well as nylon thread. Really catches the light. The bodices were pretty standard, but made from the highest quality bridal satin. They looked great on stage.

My favourite tutu is the one I wore for my Paquita variation (I think my photo is still in BalletAlert's studio section), it's a flat tutu with a gray/silver tulle overlayer and a satin-y bodice. My other favourite is a romantic tutu that reminds me of Karinska's costumes for Bourree Fantasque. It's navy and deep green tulle with scattered jewels, with a navy velvet bodice with gold princess seams, and nude, sheer sleeves that slip on, with little jewels on it... costumes are so hard to describe!