Helene's Farewell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stan

stan

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 04:28 AM

I've heard that Saturday, May 18 will be Helene Alexopoulos' final performance with the company. The program was changed so she will be doing Prodigal Son and Vienna Waltzes (presumably the Merry Widow).

Good to see Nichols last night after a long while. And what has happened to Miranda Weese?

#2 E Johnson

E Johnson

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 11:54 AM

The cast for this performance looks to be wonderful. I got a ticket because of Alexopoulos but am looking forward to it for many reasons now.

#3 Sonora

Sonora

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 01:15 PM

Would this explain why the Company is scheduled to perform Prodigal only once this season?

I'm curious about the rationale behind this ballet's scheduling. Perhaps someone with more City Ballet experience can answer.

#4 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 01:52 PM

Hi!
I would guess that "Prodigal Son" is being performed specially for the occasion of Helene's retirement. It is one of the ballets she has performed in a lot the last several years, and one of her "signature" roles.

Kate

#5 stan

stan

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 08:37 AM

There's an interview with Helene, on the subject of her retirement, in the current issue of Time Out New York.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):