This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Can a picture paint a thousand words?

I was reading a review in the NY Times the other day of a piece from NYC Ballet's Diamond Project

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/06/arts/dan...nce/06REUN.html

There's a photo taken by Paul Kolnik attached with the piece.

Admittedly, I didn't see the piece, but Anna Kisselgoff in referring to Seth Orza calls him "earthbound" and sure enough I looked at the photo and compared to Antonio Carmena, he was.

I also couldn't help but to look at Ashley Bouder in the photo either!

Perhaps I just have too much time, but does anyone else draw conclusions about a piece based on the photo more than the actual review?

Interesting question, Calliope :) I try not to draw conclusions from performance shots because it's so easy to be a second early or a second late, and that can be so distorting. Was there a moment when they were more together? Are they supposed to be scattered in the air? Or maybe one dancer really was always more "earthbound" -- I don't know. I'm not sure I'd know even if I had been there :)

I hope others will respond to this -- it's an interesting question on many fronts.

There was a wonderful Paul Kolnik photo of the opening night Serenade. showing Ringer, Fayette, and, most strikingly, Kathleen Tracey as the Dark Angel. It captured not just that performance but the essence of the ballet. A couple of days later, there was another beautiful shot of an airborne Ashley Bouder in Raymonda. As much as I admire Kolnik's photos, and many of them approach the level of art, they don't take the place of a written review. As for the Times reviewers, each of them has a distinct print personality, but that's another subject.

I happened to see the performance in question (as did FF, who is free to correct me in any paritcular) and was somewhat mystified by Kisselgoff's review. Unlike her, I did not see the original production and cannot compare Orza to Ethan Stiefel, arguably one of the best male dancers of his era.

But I did see a performance of sustained energy and spirit, well-matched with other dancers in what is essentially an ensemble piece. David Allan's choreography captures the style of the music in vivid images that engage the audience. It's also a great showpiece for young dancers, drawing on power and brio as well as technique.

When it comes to reviews, however, it's worth noting how many dance writers, especially in the Times, are speaking well of older Diamond Project ballets. We may have some pieces worthy of a new repertory after all!

I link this idea with pictures that can influence a budding love of ballet. As I was introduced to ballet through my ballet classes and learned about technique, pictures of dancers were a tremendous influence. There was this photographed dancer demonstrating everything I had learned in class, and the dancer was perfect. I fell in love with the picture as I fell in love with ballet. The rest is history.

Giannina