This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Baryshnikov on "Larry King Live"

Dale

Baryshnikov was on CNN's "Larry King Show" Sunday night. He was basically there to promote his new picture book. But the interview was interesting (despite King's habit of inturrupting) and there were lots of clips of him dancing, including many that have not been seen in a while (such as his performances of Harlinquinade and Rubies at the White House and a snatch of Who Cares? from a Liberty Day show). Here's a transcript of the interview:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0205/05/lklw.00.html

I managed to catch most of it on video. Yes, some of those clips were new to me, esp. the ones of his recent dancing with White Oak Project. It'll be interesting to see what he does when he stops dancing completely. Wonder if it really WILL be in one or two years as he stated...

Iwas happy to hear him name Kirkland as one of his favourite partners. I wonder if there's been some sort of "raprochement" over the years.

I also thought he looked so sad and serious. But the dance clips were great, especially -- to my surprise -- the modern dance pieces. They made me fall in love with his dancing all over again.

The Harlequin exerpt was quite impressive as well.

Ah Baryshnikov...will there ever be any dancer like him again?

I saw most of this -- unfortunately, I got a phone call at half-time, and I didn't have a tape in! I didn't know it was going to be on until about ten minutes before it came on.

I was thoroughly entranced by Baryshnikov, both talking and dancing. There was a LOT of footage, from all aspects of his career. I liked the modern dance excerpts too, Lillian. I'd seen some of them on stage, but not all.

For those of you who missed it, I'd heartily recommend you read the transcript -- THANK YOU DALE for posting that link. He said some very interesting and surprising things. (And his English sounded a lot better than it reads :D )

For Baryshnikov fans, or for those curious about what he's up to with White Oak, there is an excellent (IMO) review by Sarah Kaufman in the Washington Post today about the latest White Oak program:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...4-2002May5.html