This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tragedies and Disasters

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 January 2001 - 06:29 PM

I just wanted to say (respectfully), that as someone who has lost a child (my son), that after the initial shock, talking (and having others talk and reminisce) about my son has been very theraputic for me. Of course, I realize that we must always remember that what works well for one person, may not be right for another...

My heart goes out to the Foster family.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2001 - 07:01 PM

Originally posted by pookey:
Mel,
Mike's dad (the pilot) was a very experineced pilot he apparently had been flying his own private plane for over 30 Years. Furthermore he had flown through bad conditions countless times and was very skilled at using his instruments, Unlike JFK jr. I also have to add that although it was snowing and the visiblity was very bad, Penticton had given the plane O.K. to land. In fact it as on their decent that the plane just crashed. I am hoping it was a plane malfunction as opposed to pilot error.

(snip)

Now I realize he is not responsible and the horrible truth that he died as well along with Mike and his mom. Maybe we should not be so quick to judge the pilot without knowing the details. Unfortunately because of the severity of the crash no one may ever know the details

I wouldn't sell the NTSB short; their investigations are very thorough, and if necessary, they will airlift the crashed aircraft out piece by piece and reassemble it in order to determine the cause of accident. My original advice still holds - if you're flying with a private pilot, check his log!

#18 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 January 2001 - 07:16 PM

I remember Harriet Toby, a corps member of the Denham Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo decades ago. She perished when the plane she was on took off from Orly Airport in Paris and crashed at the airport. The story at the time was that a flock of birds had got into the engines and caused them to malfunction. After all these years I remember her still in Concerto Barocco.

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 January 2001 - 08:51 PM

One of the reasons they built Orly was to avoid the FOD (foreign object damage) planes experienced at Le Bourget from running into pigeons and such. For some reason, the birds found Orly just as much to their liking and some of them went over there! Now they've built Charles de Gaulle....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):