This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake at Festival Ballet Theatre

On April 26 and 27 Julie Kent and Damian Woetzel once more visited Festival Ballet Theatre in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange Coast College Community Education) and danced "Swan Lake" with the company. They danced "Sleeping Beauty" last year. I cannot get over the generosity of these two who come and give beautiful performances with this group. The students not only get to watch the best of professionals but actually dance with them. I know it takes hours of preparation on everyones part and they are to be commended. Kent was inspired in the ACT II pdd; the rest of their performance was what is normally expected of the best. My heartfelt thanks to all involved: the students for the long rehearsals, and Ms. Kent and Mr. Woetzel for their generosity with time and talent.

Giannina

Hello Eveyone, I am new here so be gentle with me. I attended Friday's performance of Swan Lake and was stuck awe by Ms. Kent and Mr. Woetzel's dancing. Yes, it is very wonderful of them to have both them performing with the Festival Ballet Theatre. I missed Ms. Kent's performance of Swan Lake with the ABT last February at Orange County Performing Arts Center so I was thrill to be able to have a second chance to watch her dance. The students were also deserving of praises. Along with Ms. Kent and Mr. Woetzel, the students give a beautiful performence with which was awarded with a standing ovation at curtain call.

Just one curious question tho, it is regular of big name stars like that of Ms. Kent and Mr. Woetzel to preform with regional companies around the country? :confused: Anyway, I hope both Ms. Kent and Mr. Woetzel will be back next year with FBT.

Welcome to Ballet Alert! Online, Maxi3D!

Yes, actually. Principal dancers, and some soloists too, do perform frequently with young regional companies. It's a chance for some of them to do roles they might not regularly do in their own company, and also to earn some extra money. For the regional companies it is a question of whether they can afford to bring in the big stars, like Kent and Woetzel, or if their budget can handle guests but maybe not those who get the top money. Sometimes it is also a matter of the company directors knowing certain dancers and being able to get them to dance for them. A lot of the principal and soloist dancers also have an agent, and the regional companies can book their "stars" through the agency. It's great for these companies to have the stars come in, especially if they are the type of dancers who are interested in young dancers and will spend time with them and talk to them. Sometimes they will teach some classes while they are there, too.

Thanks Victoria!

Only in ballet world where internationaly known stars like Julie Kent and Damian Woetzel are willing to come and perform on one's local stage. It is the equivalent of having Julia Robert or Meryl Streep come and perform at your community playhouse.