This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Imaginary meeting

what a great topic!!!!!

Glebb, you're in clover...

"ya lioubliou vas" -- It's Lensky's aria from Tchaikovsky's opera, Eugene Onegin, really beautiful, you'll be singing it for hte rest of your life after hearing it only once.... check it out

Well Balletnut, Ballets Russes dancers live and work among us.... VIlzak and Schollar have only recently passed on, and Sergei Temoff.... you could look up Mark Platt, who lives in Marin somewhere, grew up in Oregon or Seattle or someplace and got taken into the BR by Massine -- you could go rent 7 Brides for 7 Brothers first if you wanted to complement him on his performance....

Or down your way there's Carlos Carvajal, who was in hte Marquis de Cuevas's company and one of hte Ballets Russes-- he's now running Peninsula Ballet in San Mateo.......

Lots of dancers at Oakland Ballet can talk about working with Massine -- Michael Lowe is VERY interesting on hte subject..... Julie Lowe is eloquent about what it was like having Freddie Franklin set Giselle on her...... THese dancers were VERY GOoD in those ballets..........

It's hard not to be in love with Karsavina afer reading "THeater Street."

I agree, I think I'd like Taglioni...

I have met Violette Verdy, who's flat out one of the nicest people I've EVER met -- so interesting, so smart, funny, insightful -- and also, she told me she'd call me later in the week and let me know if Farrell was not going to make the tour, and she didn't forget to call.....

I hung out after a "stars of hte Bolshoi" in Berkeley in 1973 waiting for Plisetskaya-- after half an hour I gave up, but I noticed a limousine parked behind some bushes by an obscure side door, and 3 or 4 diehard fans, and hung with them, and sure enough, out she came, about up to my shoulder in a sable coat and high heels -- I gave her a little vial of carroway seeds I'd brought to the show with me (I'm sorry, it's the truth, I'm affected) and she said "I don' speak English" and I said "You broke my heart" and she said "Don't break your heart" and signed her name up the side of her leg in the Carmen center-fold in the program, and I'l never stop thinking she's the coolest thing that ever was......