This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RB Romeo and Juliet

Did anyone go and see Romeo and Juliet by the Royal Ballet? It was opening night last night, and it was fantastic!

For anyone who didn't get to go, the cast was: Roberto Bolle, Darcey Bussell, Ricardo Cervera, Ivan Putov, William Tuckett as, Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, Benvolio and Tybalt repesctively.

Roberto and Darcey were heartbreaking together, and brought tears to my eyes more than once. Ivan Putrov was also magnificent as Benvolio, and worked very well with Ricardo's Mercutio. Together they framed Romeo beautifully in their pas de trois.

William Tuckett was also good as Tybalt, he was wonderfully stern, (especially with Juliet when he realises she likes Romeo) and was very good at the sword fighting.

Overall, a brilliant night, and I have to go again! Is anyone else going to see any of the other casts?

Thanks for posting! I'm checking out all the casts but I'm most looking forward to Tuesday with Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg. I'm looking forward to seeing Cervera's Mercutio too (Wasn't Martin Harvey meant to do Mercutio on first night? I hope he isn't injured.)

There are some really beauitful photos of Tamara Rojo and Massiomo Murru in R&J btw on http://www.performingartslibrary.co.uk/fwlogon.htm.

Scroll down and click 'log in as guest'.

Hi Sylvia-I thought Martin Harvey was going to do Mercutio, thats the info on the website-however in the programme it doesn't have a note saying 'Cervera replaces Harvey' so maybe it was a mix up on the website? I asked the Box Office, but they didn't know any different?

Anoushka the box-office never knows anything about castings! Anyway I guess it could be a mix-up but it would mean an awful lot of nights that Cervera would be dancing Mercutio if you replaced his name with Harvey's. Not that I mind - he's a favourite of mine!