• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 05:31 AM

Oh, I did forget to mention Miranda Weese. She did have an operation. Sounds like healing/recovery is slow-going. It didn't seem clear whether she could return this season or not.
-amanda

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 02:55 PM

I deleted a post from this thread that violated our posted No Gossip Rules. For those who aren't familiar with our Rules, especially new posters, please check the Rules Posts on the About the Site thread.

Thank you.

Alexandra

#18 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 10:47 AM

More info about dancer injuries. I don't know if anyone had posted some of this last season.

I was talking to one of the dancers who has been in the company a long time yesterday, and she agreed with me that last season saw an unusual # of injuries. She added that many were major. Both Weese and Sloan have hip injuries. Angle and Crenshaw broke a foot. Abergel had a foot injury. She should, at least, be back in Vienna Waltzes. Weese apparently has a ways to go in recovery. Sad to hear. BUt, I guess it's the nature of *beast*.

-amanda

#19 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 01:24 PM

I think we have our answer to Kyra Nichols' status now, given that she's cast to dance Vienna Waltzes this week.

I'll certainly be there!

#20 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 06:54 AM

I am so glad to hear that Kyra Nichols is back dancing with NYCB; and I envy those of you who can see her performances this week. I did see Nichols in Vienna Waltzes when I visited New York in 1996; her Mozartiana in the same season was sublime. In my opinion Nichols is still the greatest classical ballerina in the world today.

#21 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 06:59 AM

The first time I saw Nichols, she was in the corps and it was announced before the curtain that she would dance the first violin in 'Concerto Barocco'.

She was quite wonderful in the role she origniated in 'The Four Seasons'.

One of my favorite ballets to see her dance was 'In G Major'.

#22 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 05:41 PM

Nichols was divine in "Concerto Barocco". I am lucky to have seen her in the role of the first violin back in 1999 when NYCB held a "Balanchine Black and White Week". Jenny Somogyi danced the second violin role.

#23 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 07:28 PM

It has taken a good amount of time for this to register with me, but Elena Stein has also apparently left the company.

What made me realize it was seeing Bouder and Mandrajieff cast in Mercurial Manoeuvres, in the roles Chris Wheeldon made on Stein (when she was Elena Diner) and on Aubrey Morgan just two years ago.

An awful lot of turnover even for a company this size.

#24 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:31 PM

Hi!
I don't think the turnover at NYCB is unusual for a company of that size. There seem to be periods when little changes, and then periods when many dancers leave for other challenges and companies. That's the natural aging process of a company-especially in the corps where dancers may realize that they are probably never going to be soloists, and decide to dance elsewhere or pursue another career.
Also, at smaller, more regional companies, the dance seasons are shorter and the workload less grueling, thus dancers are likely to hang around longer. Actually, if you read my post on the stats of NYCB vs ABT, it turns out the majority of the corps have been at NYCB for at least 4 years, many for far longer.
Also, just because a ballet is not being danced with the orignal dancers does not mean the dancers have left (though in this case they have) since there are almost always multiple casts.

Kate

#25 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 03:35 AM

Well anyway I'll miss Elena Diner, she was an important member of the corps and a beautiful dancer.

#26 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 05:51 AM

Actually, as someone who has been watching NYCB for 10+ years, the corps- female, specifically-- is particularly young right now. Even the older corps dancers with whom I have spoken have said they go to class and don't know who a lot of the dancers are. In '95 there was the mass... turnover, too. So, there are bursts. But, right now there are a great deal of dancers who came of the school 1999-2001 (counting apprentices). I usually pride myself on knowing who all the dancers are by the time they get a contract. Not so anymore.

-amanda

#27 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 05:09 AM

Can anyone tell me if Ellen Ostrum is in the company yet? Or is she still an apprentice?

She and ABT's Angela Snow grew up together at The School of Oregon Ballet Theatre, and it seems that both of their futures should be bright.

#28 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 07:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glebb
[B]Can anyone tell me if Ellen Ostrum is in the company yet? Or is she still an apprentice?

I don't believe she is even apprentice. I did see her tonight in the corps at the SAB workshop tonight...

-Amanda

#29 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 07:30 AM

Miranda Weese is taking class and doing a few rehearsals. She told a colleague of mine that she was aiming to return in Saratoga.

Jared Angle told me he is back taking class.

As you might have seen on the PBS broadcase, Darius Crenshaw is back dancing.

-amanda

#30 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the info AmandaNYC.
After reading the Ballet Alert reviews of the SAB workshop, I see that there are many ahead of Ellen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):