Poll: Ballet Time Traveler

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Ballet Time Traveler (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Poll: Ballet Time Traveler

1. [b]Versailles/Fontainbleu, 1670s[/b]: court ballet of Louis XIV—Lully, Moliere's comédie-ballet Le Bourgois Gentilhomme, Psyche by Moliere, Lully, Corneille, and Quinault; Beauchamps as maître de ballet (2 votes [2.90%])

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

2. [b]Paris, 1840s[/b]: Coralli's Giselle and La Peri; Perrot's Esmeralda; Mazillier's Paquita and Le Diable à Quatre; Taglioni, Grisi, Petipa as dancer (9 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. [b]Copenhagen, 1860s[/b]: Bournonville in full flower—all his works being danced except Life Guards on Amager (7 votes [10.14%])

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

4. [b]St. Petersburg, 1890s[/b]: Petipa in excelsis—Sleeping Beauty, Raymonda, Halte de Cavalrie, and (with others) Cinderella; Ivanov's Swan Lake and Nutcracker (23 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. [b]Paris, 1910s[/b]: Diaghilev's Ballets Russes—Firebird, Petrushka, Carnaval, Scheherezade, Spectre de la Rose, Faune, Parade, etc. (28 votes [40.58%])

Percentage of vote: 40.58%

6. [b]Other[/b] (before 1930) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 06:42 AM

Okay, here's a chance to catch those performances you've always wished you'd seen. A good fairy has granted you the right to travel back in time only once, to one of places and periods listed above, in order to let you see for yourself the things you've only read about. Which would you choose, and why?

Note: I've limited this poll to the years BEFORE 1930, on the assumption that the death of Diaghilev in 1929 ushered in the modern era of ballet, the one we're still living in. If this poll attracts people's interest, we can have another one with choices ranging from 1930 to the present.

#2 Helena

Helena

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 07:22 AM

Oh, difficult! I want all of them, but I think I'll go for St Petersburg, because I've read more about that time than any of the others, and I want to see how much of what I've read is true.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 07:44 AM

Another tough choice -- I agree with Helena. I want to see all of them. (That, when pressed, I voted for Bournonville may not be a surprise.)

Aside from its difficulty, though -- very nice poll, Ari. I like the detail :)

#4 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:23 AM

I ended up voting for Paris, because the first things I read about ballet were on Diaghilev, and I have always felt deprived because I didn't see the 1909 season, but of course all of the above is much more appropriate.

#5 linsusanr

linsusanr

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:57 AM

It was between Diaghilev and Bournonville, but I picked Bournonville ... never get to see enough of his work! Given the chance I would definitely see both, just to see Spectre de la Rose as well. At this point my favorite version of that is Nureyev's.

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 12:17 PM

I'm beginning to feel very sorry for Taglioni and Elssler, not to mention Lully and Beauchamps. How quickly they forget :)

#7 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 02:45 PM

Originally posted by at
I'm beginning to feel very sorry for Taglioni and Elssler, not to mention Lully and Beauchamps.  How quickly they forget :)

I just got home from work in time to put in my vote for Taglioni and Elssler! :)

#8 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 04:35 PM

,Very difficult indeed. I think I'll take Paris:) - and hope it won't be my only chance!

#9 Tancos

Tancos

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 06:52 PM

I ended up choosing Paris because of the music, but I would want to visit all the times and places. Second choice would be Moliere's France. (I think that if we can assume time travel, we can also assume Babel fish.)

An idea for another poll would be which single historic performance would you attend if you were handed the keys to a time machine but only allowed one trip. (I have a hunch which performance would win; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if half the audience at the premiere of "Le Sacre du Printemps" *were* time travelers.)

#10 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 04:50 AM

When you say "Paris," BW, Tancos, and cargill, do you mean Paris in the 1840s or the 1910s?

#11 Tancos

Tancos

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:32 AM

The 1910's.

#12 LaFilleMalGardee

LaFilleMalGardee

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 03:30 PM

I picked Paris.:)

#13 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:04 PM

I think I would pick Paris in 1910 - only because I think I'd prefer the modern conveniences.;) This is really a hard one, because I would love to go to St. Petersburg as well... maybe I can use my frequent flyer miles?

#14 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 12:01 PM

Paris 1910--I still can't read enough about those twenty magical years.

#15 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 05:25 PM

I picked Paris 1910 too. I think those years marked one of the most exciting eras not just for ballet, but for many forms of art. Lots of experimentation and exploration, but with more of a direction than what we have today. It would be great to go back and see these wonderful collaboration between great artists like Fokine, Nijinski, Massine, Balanchine, Picasso, Matisse, Miro, Bakst, Benois... and such a wide range of music (Satie, Ravel, Debussy, Rimsky-Korsakov, and of course Stravinsky). My second choice would be St. Petersberg. But I think Diaghilev's Ballets Russes created a more complete spectacle and was more risk-taking. Another reason I chose Paris was because a lot of the works have not survived or are not in great shape today, and it seems that a lot of Petipa is still being (relatively) well-preserved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):