This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi and Ashton

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 11:42 AM

I should think the Russian audiences will adore Fille - they certainly did in 1961. (Interestingly, many of them saw it as 'Alexander Grant's ballet' rather than Nerina's or Blair's - I wonder if they'll still see it like that today?)And Ashton was happy for the Bolshoi to do it - there was a plan after the Bolshoi's 1963 London season for them to take Fille and the RB to take Lavrovsky's Romeo and Juliet in exchange - which might have completely changed the course of the RB's history. It's said, too, that Ashton was strongly influenced by the Bolshoi's first visit when he was choroegraphing, especially for Colas, and I know people today who strongly prefer a tougher, more 'Russian' approach to the role than the pastoral English perormances of dancers like Bruce Sansom. So maybe it will be all right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):