This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Calling dancers by their first names

We simply called Scotto "Little" to distinguish her from Tebaldi, who was the more senior diva, had the larger voice, and was much taller than Scotto. Fans from that era still refer to these two sopranos as "Big Renata" and "Little Renata".

Yes, Scotto was a great bel cantiste but ended up wrecking her voice when she strayed from her natural fach. Wanting to sing "everything" does not benefit the voice. Look what it did to Callas.

Many opera fans would question if Netrebko is rising or already falling. Listen to Act I of her recent TRAVIATA recording. This is not a healthy instrument.

Opera fans love to refer to the great singers by their first names: everyone knows who Luciano, Placi, Leonie, Leontyne, Christa, Franco and Jessye are. Although there have been many Marias, whenever anyone says "Maria", assume Callas. On the other hand, we always differentiate between "Big Renata" (Tebaldi) and "Little Renata" (Scotto). Most fans call Horne "Jackie" and  von Stade "Flicka". I would guess that singers (and dancers) love it when they are recognized by their first names. Nobody I know ever calls Fleming anything but "Renee". Once I watched her doing a signing...hundreds of people showed up. No one said: "Ms. Fleming"; she took it as a matter of course that she is: Renee.

Well, privately I always call Placido Domingo "Mr. January," in honor of an especially hunky picture of him in an old Opera News calendar.

But that's just me.