This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Madame Butterfly"

Guest robballet22

Guest robballet22

This weekend, I went to see Atlanta Ballet perform Stanton Welch's "Madame Butterfly." The music was, of course, beautiful, the costumes and scenery were splendid. There were a lot of nice elements in the choreography, but I couldn't help questioning the choice of casting at times. Nevertheless, I think that this was one of the most enjoyable ballets Atlanta Ballet has done in a while. I was wondering if anyone else was able to see it and what they thought about it. I understand that Boston Ballet will be performing Welch's "Madame Butterfly" as well.

I haven't seen Atlanta Ballet in a couple of years, I happened to be in town, though so I was able to see Butterfly.

The casting didn't bother me so much...the choreography was what really bugged me. I went into it with really high expectations because I had heard so many great things about Stanton Welch and Madame Butterfly, my mistake obviously. While it was the best new choreography for a new full-length story ballet that I have seen, it just seemed so trite. I felt that the choreographer tried to tell to much of the story instead of paring it down to its basics to let the audience truly understand what was going on without relying on the notes. In fact, the only part that I felt was interesting at all was the pas de deux at the end of the first act between butterfly and Pinkerton. With that particular sequence I could see that I would probably like Welch as a choregrapher for smaller scaled more abstract works. He had very innovated partnering that flowed in and out of movements without obvious breaks in movement, but the rest of the show I had to laugh at at times because it was so predictable and unimaginative.

The dancers I felt did as good a job as they could with the choreography, and I personally had no problems with casting--and I would be curious to know what problems you thought there were. I saw the Friday Night cast.

On an additional note, I heard a rumor that Madame Butterfly is Julianne Spratlin's last performance with Atlanta Ballet and that she will be dancing with Joffrey. I have to wonder if the lack of interesting repretoire is one of the main reasons this wonderful artist is possibly leaving.

Guest robballet22

I saw the Friday night cast as well, and I felt that the two "friends" of the lead male outdanced him, which really bothered me. I agree with what you say about the ballet trying to tell too many little details instead of keeping the story simple and understandable... more than once did I have to look back at my program notes to keep up. You are right about the pas de deux at the end of Act 1, it was magnificent! About any dancers leaving, my guess would be that the repetoire is a great influence in their decision to leave; I mean, how many panamime story ballets can a dancer do?!

I didn't notice Pinkerton's friends that much. I did think Jonah Hooper did a wonderful job as Sharpless, though--and I would say that he outdanced Jim Stein. But, I think the physical characteristics of the leads played more in their casting than the dancing itself. Big burly man, little tiny woman.

The times I have seen Atlanta Ballet since John McFall has been director I have been let down. The dancers still do a great job, but I just never find what they are doing to be interesting anymore. Maybe I was spoiled a bit growing up while Robert Barnett was still the director--then the ballet seemed to be much more well-rounded and interesting. Now its like watching Disney on ice.

Guest Prisma

Ms. Julianne is definitely leaving the company. She is moving on to bigger and better things. She accepted a job at Joffrey. She needs to leave b/c she is outgrowing Atlanta Ballet and its boring rep. I recently heard that for there next season they are doing Hamlet, Carmen, Nutcracker, maybe Streetcar named Desire, and some rep show. Will there next season be another bomb?? I guess we will have to wait and see.